PDA

View Full Version : drive replacement question?

wad
08-27-2003, 12:44 PM
I have a quick ? Can someone confirm that if I use the same size drive and place the 3.5 or 3.7 image on it the utv will or will not still need to dial out? I understand that if I put a larger drive in I need to do this but if its the same size will I still need to upgrade? I am asking because I want to start playing with the code in the O/s and don't want to dail out evertime after it has been changed.

The plan is to get 3 or 4 drives and try and make changes to the o/s and review the changes while still having a working referece drive to step back to.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

BlueCop
08-27-2003, 01:10 PM
wad: your plan might be more difficult then you expect. as you might know when you upgrade a drive the utv sets an ata password on the drive. locking it with maximum security level with 2 passwords the user and the master password. since the security level is high all the master pass will do is zero the drive. the drives master password is the same on all utv drives. the drives user password is what we want to use and the utv uses to unlock the drive and read the data. so each drive you install would have a diff user pass and when the UltimateTV detects a drive that has a password but the password stored in the eeprom does not work. It then uses the master password to zero the drive which afterwards the drive will be unlocked and it will attempt to dial out to download new software. well i assume you can see the problem that could arrive from your situation.

here are a few solutions you might could try
1. use a logic analyzer to monitor harddrive password. then use that password to lock other drives you put the utv software on. you should then be able to swap the harddrives out with out having a problem with password change.
2.back up the eeprom onboard with each drive installed and locked by the utv. then you could write which eeprom you wanted to switch between drives.

i hope i've been a help i didn't know what kind of hardware you have access to but ether method should work

wad
08-27-2003, 02:54 PM
Bluecop, thanks for the excellent explanation!

many different questions arise from your comments:

1) the password that can be retrived with the logic analyser is: the master password and/or the dystinct system password, hopefully the and.

2) the passwords are sent in the clear or do they have some type of encrytion?

3) a sector by sector copy of the drive to start will allow the drive to just work, but if I understand correctly it will be locked. It then needs to be unlocked (changed, with proper checksums etc) then relocked to run again in the UTV.

4) method to backup system eprom: can you chip clip this eprom/jtag or do you need to remove it to read it? I noticed your posted dumps and have wondered the extraction method.

Thanks again!

wad
08-27-2003, 03:06 PM
If the master password is the same can someone please post it somewhere?

This would let me test the one I get with the logic Analyzer, as soon as I figure out where to probe :<

Just a hobbyist not an expert :>