PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Repair

ahonamous
08-31-2003, 04:05 PM
I recently stumbled upon a Hughes DirecTv/Tivo box at a garage sale and picked it up. I now know why it was there.. its not working. I put in a new 40GB Maxtor DiamondBack Plus 8 drive, and cannot get past the "Welcome. Please Wait" screen. I have followed many of the FAQ tips with no avail... I switch and "cleaned" the white ribbon cable under the drive, I changed the drive cable, I tried both Master and Cable Select on the drive, I have tried new 2.0 and 2.5 images.. all with no luck. I am ready to send it in somewhere for repair.. slight problem here. It looks like the previous owner made some personal modifications to the card slot that cannot be removed. So, I am looking for a repair place that offers "no questions asked" and doesnt care..

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Anne

captain_video
08-31-2003, 06:26 PM
Check the How Tos Only sticky thread in the DirecTV Tivo Hacking Forum. You'll find a couple of recommended repair centers listed there. As long as there's nothing that was installed that could be causeing the Tivo problems then it's probably not a concern. Just call ahead and explain your situation and everything should be fine. The downside is that if the mod that was installed hosed your mainboard then there's not much you can do with it except use it as a doorstop.

ahonamous
08-31-2003, 09:01 PM
Captian_video,
Thanks! That is what I was hoping, but I have seen some of the web sites say that they will not work with anything that is of a questionable nature, regardless of what it is..

Anne