PDA

View Full Version : Serial Cable Construction

chiptrader
09-01-2003, 11:29 AM
Ok guys, sorry for being such a newbie, but I am trying to construct the serial cable. I think I have the wrong stereo jack. I pulled it off an old pair of computer speakers. I think thats where I went wrong because it one has 2 wires inside the rubber coating and everything I read says "top, middle and bottom wire".

What do I need to do???

mrblack51
09-01-2003, 01:02 PM
there are a number of sets of instructions for making a serial cable in the how-to thread in the directv tivo hacking area. follow those instructions and it will work. if you don't have one, you need a multimeter or something else to test to ensure your wire is done right.

chiptrader
09-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I've read them, but my speaker plug only has 2 wires (not colored either... one has a yellow stripe on the outside rubber coating, the other has nothing). This is from a set of computer speakers. Please advise

BubbleLamp
09-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by chiptrader
Yeah, I've read them, but my speaker plug only has 2 wires (not colored either... one has a yellow stripe on the outside rubber coating, the other has nothing). This is from a set of computer speakers. Please advise

So go buy the correct plug with three connections, that's what's required.

mrblack51
09-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by chiptrader

every cable is different, so the colors are meaningless. as I said, you need a multimeter or somethign similar to figure out what wire is what connection. generally, a cable will only have two wires, with the shielding working as the ground. therefore, one wire would be tx, one would be rx, and the shielding would be ground. which is which? who knows. if that doesnt help, then I would recommend following the posted directions exactly.