PDA

View Full Version : Unable to download OS to RCA UTV

binkatl
09-01-2003, 03:59 PM
I'm trying to do a simple software install on my RCA Ultimate TV. There is a fresh new hard drive in the unit. When I turn it on it goes to the "Connecting to WebTV" screen and dials MSN. Then it informs me that there is a software update available. I tell it to download, and it begins downloading.

It never gets past part 85 or so. Sometimes it stops at 30, sometimes it stops at 73, and sometimes it gets as far as somewhere in the 80's. But it always quits, claiming that it lost the connection along the way.

I have disabled call waiting, so I know it's not someone trying to call in.

Can anyone help? Is there any way to get this thing loaded?

Thanks!

- Blake

watching
09-02-2003, 12:01 PM
MS has been having problems with their servers for couple months now. You need to download the software through your own ISP.

Hit menu, menu menu, 217 to get the options to use your ISP.

binkatl
09-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Grrr! This is so frustrating.

When I use the MSN server, it connects but then never gets all the way through. If I use my own ISP, it gets stuck at the "Connecting" screen, and the yellow "Connected" light flashes steadily. It looks like it never finishes making the connection.

I've used my own ISP before (Bellsouth) and I know it works. I'm not trying to do any hacks, I'm simply trying to get the basic 3.7 OS installed on a new drive. Can anyone suggest anything?

- Blake

chippillie
10-06-2003, 02:36 AM
The first thing you need to do is get an image of 3.7.Sorry I don't have that image saved.Then you need take out the drive and format it with your pc.Put fat 32 on it with no EZ bois.Then use winhex to put on the image using the method in 3.5/3.7 install posts.This worked for me.I had to put on fat 32 even though I was using a new drive.I to was frustated so I hope this will work for you also.

Chippillie

apn64
10-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by chippillie
The first thing you need to do is get an image of 3.7.Sorry I don't have that image saved.Then you need take out the drive and format it with your pc.Put fat 32 on it with no EZ bois.Then use winhex to put on the image using the method in 3.5/3.7 install posts.This worked for me.I had to put on fat 32 even though I was using a new drive.I to was frustated so I hope this will work for you also.
Chippillie

No need to format the drive before loading the O/S image. You can simply put the image on a brand-new, unformatted drive.

However, if it's not a fresh out-of-the-box, drive, you might want to zero it out in WinHEX, before applying the O/S image.

chippillie
10-07-2003, 06:41 PM
I've seen that you don't need to format a new drive also but when I tryed that it didn't work for me nor did putting to al zeros.It just would go look for updates.That is until I formated the drive.It might have just been my drive though.It was a wd120

apn64
10-07-2003, 08:38 PM
I also did a couple of upgrades to WD120 (1200BBRTL3) drive.

If your UTV is trying to dial-out after the upgrade, then clearly it's not recognizing the O/S partition that you installed. Hence you might want to check your procedure again.

I've since learned that the boot from image at offsets 13480600 or 15480600 is determined by a flag saved on the HDD. Thus I beleive that with a brand-new drive, you should be able to load the O/S image at 13480600 and have it boot. I've not tried this (yet), but it seems logical.

Either way, it's no big deal. You could also load the O/S to both locations and be sure that it will boot, assuming you do it right. Look for Herculito's post here for detailed instructions on the procedure to write the O/S image.