PDA

View Full Version : front circuit board

teachit2me
09-01-2003, 11:06 PM
I just received a tivo via ups; and it has a damaged front circuit board. powers on and gets pic fine; but there is no control either with buttons nor remote.
the front cover is intact,so I inspected the board and but the board has 2 clear breaks in it, any idea where to get one? it's a sat-t60 ; thx all .

captain_video
09-02-2003, 09:05 AM
You should be able to get one from Sony, but be prepared for sticker shock. Your best bet would be to see if you can find a dead Sat-T60 that someone is willing to part out. You could also use the board from a DSR6000 or a GXCEBOT but you'd also need the faceplate to go with it. It should still work with the Sony remote since the codes are stored in software but it would no longer look like a SAT-T60.

If the board is cracked and traces are broken then you might try soldering small jumper wires across the broken traces. I've done this dozens of times with great success. If the traces are really close together then follow them back to a point where they're far enough apart to solder the jumper without bridging any solder to the adjacent trace. AWG30 Kynar wire-wrap wire is great for this purpose. Radio Shack sells it in 50-ft rolls as I recall. Use a small amount of Crazy Glue in the crack to secure the broken pieces together prior to jumpering the traces. Try and separate the two parts of the board without causing any further damage and apply the glue to the edge of the crack. After the glue has dried, locate the end of the crack and drill a small hole at that location, making sure to avoid any traces. This will prevent the crack from spreading beyond this point

Just scrape the confrormal coating from the board trace and tin the trace with a small amount of solder. Make sure the trace is clean and shiny before attempting to apply any solder to ensure proper adhesion. You just want to coat it and not leave a lump of solder. A tiny bit of flux on the trace will help the solder flow evenly. Never apply too much heat or the trace will separate itself from the board. Remove the insulation from about 1/8" of the tip of the wire and tin it as well. Touch the wire to the trace and press it firmly against the board using an appropriate tool but be careful not to damage the board. Apply heat to the wire tip and trace simultaneously until the solder flows. Remove the soldering iron and allow the joint to cool while keeping the wire from moving. Repeat this for each broken trace at ench end and your board should work good as new.

If the board is double-sided (i.e. traces on both sides) then repeat this process for the other side of the board. Make sure any wires you add don't interfere with any mounting posts and the board should fit back in its original location with no problem.

tivomaster
09-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by teachit2me
I just received a tivo via ups; and it has a damaged front circuit board. powers on and gets pic fine; but there is no control either with buttons nor remote.
the front cover is intact,so I inspected the board and but the board has 2 clear breaks in it, any idea where to get one? it's a sat-t60 ; thx all .

Unless the board is in fragments and/or the chips are damaged, with a little time, a good soldering Iron, continuity meter, and exoxy you can fix the board. I have done it before....

Gill
09-02-2003, 12:42 PM
Kinda OT, but what exactly is flux used for? I'm not a soldering expert, but just curious.....

Thanks,
Gill

teachit2me
09-02-2003, 02:58 PM
I'm terrible at soldering ,but will give it a try, TY to all who answered and gave very helpful solutions, its great to have a nice place to ask these things and get a real answer.

captain_video
09-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Kinda OT, but what exactly is flux used for? I'm not a soldering expert, but just curious.....

This may not exactly be a textbook definition but here goes: Flux is a compound used to help solder flow more evenly and improve the bond between a componet and circuit track. It's usually in a paste form when used with electronic components and circuit boards. It generally allows you to perform the bonding process using less heat. The result is less potential damage from excess heat and also a cleaner solder joint without large globs of solder. The trick to proper soldering is to use as little heat and solder as possible without creating a cold solder joint.

GREEK
09-02-2003, 06:22 PM
I have a parts machine if your interested. The repair captain states is a excellent alternitive. He couldnt have said it better. Soldering is cake, nows a great time to learn