PDA

View Full Version : DTivo Info before I buy

shadowramy15
09-02-2003, 01:32 AM
Hey all,

I have and existing DSS 4th Gen reciever with a SA Tivo Ser 1 box. I am wanting to get a DTivo so I can get Dolby Digital through a Fibre Connection. Neither my exisitng DSS reciever or Tivo have a TOSLink connection.

For those of you that have a good setup could you please advise me on what I need to purchase (model number) what I need is the following:

DTivo with Optical out for Dolby Sound
prerfer - Componet connections
ability to use an HU card
able to upgrade Hard drive
Able to use 2 hard drives
Ability to Extract Video

I just want to order a unit off ebay that I can swap out with my existing hardware and not have DTV come out an install it - if you know what I mean.

Thanks
Shadowramy

fixn278
09-02-2003, 02:43 AM
All S1 and S2 DTivos can give you any of the capabilities you list. Neither will allow native use of HU cards and since you've been around for a few months you know we can't discuss this particular subject.

Both series have RCA as well as S-Video outputs
Both can have HD's upgraded
Both can extract video
Both can use 2 drives
Both have optical DD outputs

Functional differences:

- 2nd Gen DTivos need an additional bracket to hold 2nd hard drive
- 2nd Gen DTivos are more difficult to mod since there is no xtreme type install - more interesting in my opinion
- 2nd Gen DTivos need prom replaced for easy hacking, but using the monte approach can give you a similar end result

My opinion... subscribe. You can't beat a $99 HDVR2. Inexpensive hardware, someone else climbing to the roof for free and helping to support a hobby you are getting enjoyment from.

mrblack51
09-02-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by shadowramy15
Hey all,

I have and existing DSS 4th Gen reciever with a SA Tivo Ser 1 box. I am wanting to get a DTivo so I can get Dolby Digital through a Fibre Connection. Neither my exisitng DSS reciever or Tivo have a TOSLink connection.

For those of you that have a good setup could you please advise me on what I need to purchase (model number) what I need is the following:

DTivo with Optical out for Dolby Sound
prerfer - Componet connections
ability to use an HU card
able to upgrade Hard drive
Able to use 2 hard drives
Ability to Extract Video

I just want to order a unit off ebay that I can swap out with my existing hardware and not have DTV come out an install it - if you know what I mean.

Thanks
Shadowramy

well, since you insist on needing hu card compatibility, clearly you are haxoring your card in some way...we'll ignore that =) just go and get a series 1 directivo (dsr6000, sat-t60, or gxcebot), install 25xtreme and then upgrade to 2.5.2 with the tools here.

fixn278
09-02-2003, 02:46 AM
It's like being in an amusement park... open post in one forum and after posting, finding I am in another forum. Good thing I didn't eat before I got on this ride. :D

bigbluerocket
09-02-2003, 11:02 AM
Just wanted to mention, since you emphasize you want to use the optical audio out, that from what I've been reading in various forums the HDVR2s appear to have some problems with audio dropouts, especially when using the optical output. If the digital audio is important to you, I'd do some extra research on this problem and make sure it's something you can live with. Apparently a fix is rumored to be in the works, but so far none exists.

mylo
09-11-2003, 09:19 PM
I use HDVR2 optical out but hear this problem happens on others using analogue audio.

After pushing play to restart a paused show, about 7 seconds into playing the audio drops out for 1-2 seconds then comes back.

No idea what it is, and it's only mildly annoying so I haven't even bothered searching for a fix yet.

larray
09-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Maybe I can shed some light on the optical problem, I just wasted about 6 hours of troubleshooting and phone time on the issue.

I just got one of the $99 HDVR specials, and unfortunatly it's going back and I'm getting my money back. Optical audio (for ME) is completly unusable. I do not have the problem with the DSR6000 unit. (and it's not my cables as I finally convinced DirecTV).

DTv bounced me over to Hughes (maybe I should have started there) who confirmed that:
1) Yes there is a known issue with the HDVR2's and some recievers.
2) There is a patch in the works to be released at a date yet TBD (could be a week, month, or year - the tech had no idea on a release date).

YMMV of course with your reciever, but it's a pain to jump through all of the troubleshooting hoops to get a refund if you find it unusable. (Now if only the hacker community could fix the problem for them :D )

This info current as of 9.10.2003