PDA

View Full Version : How to Make a Serial Adapter for Your DirecTivo

Trivex
09-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Hey.

I wrote a new article today on how to make a serial cable. Pictures are included and should be very easy to follow. If you have any issues or comments you can email me or you can simply reply to this thread.

http://www.trivex.net/DTivoHacking/

Good luck,
Trivex

cobelli
09-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Very cool! Nice work. This is a great help for newbies and will definately be linked to in my hacking guide. Two suggestions, though:

1. "a DirecTivo is illegal in most parts of the United States" This is simply untrue and will scare people away from a legitimate hobby. There are a few grey ares, like video extraction, but we do not allow anything illegal here (like service theft). In particular, you hack allows for communication between the tivo and pc, which is DEFINATELY NOT illegal. Maybe cover yourself by saying you are not responsible for how the information is used, but ditch that line because it is plain wrong.

2. This is a real minor thing, but just something I noticed. "its used to communicate with a computer!" Technically it is not intended to connect to a computer, which is why we need a special cable. Again, very small. Also, it's not its. (Not that I am a grammer wiz ;) )

Again, great work
- Cobelli

Trivex
09-03-2003, 12:36 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback!

The article has been updated as a result of your suggestions. Thanks again!

Trivex

BubbleLamp
09-03-2003, 01:12 AM
For all those challenged by the numbering, maybe you should add a front-view, back-view of the DB9 pinout.

Trivex
09-03-2003, 12:20 PM
yeah.. unfortunetly i wrote this tutorial after already soldering the wires onto the db9 so i cannot get good scans because most of the little numbers would have melted when i did my terrible soldering.