PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Switch Brands

mikey
09-02-2003, 06:45 PM
I will be buying a multi-switch, 2in/8 out, in the next few days and was wondering if there is a highly reliable brand, a really terrible brand, or are they all about the same?

Thanks, in advance, for the consumer reports. :)

Mikey

BubbleLamp
09-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by mikey
I will be buying a multi-switch, 2in/8 out, in the next few days and was wondering if there is a highly reliable brand, a really terrible brand, or are they all about the same?

Thanks, in advance, for the consumer reports. :)

Mikey

Spaun's are one of the best, but expensive. I'd go with a powered switch, the non-powered can cause problems if the cable runs are long.

fixn278
09-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
Spaun's are one of the best, but expensive.

I'll second that. Almost no signal loss at all with my Spaun switches. Pricey, but worth it. If you are trying to do this on a budget, as long as your runs aren't too long, most brands will work fine (Channelmaster, Aspen Eagle, etc...) but you always get what you pay for.

SR712
09-02-2003, 10:42 PM
I have a Terk oval dish, with a Terk powered 5X8 switch. Runs are between 25 and 100 feet, and I have signal strengths between 92 and 96.

mikey
09-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the informaiton!

I have a long cable run, so I will be tryng the Spaun. :eek:

BubbleLamp
09-05-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by mikey
Thanks for the informaiton!

I have a long cable run, so I will be tryng the Spaun. :eek:

Just keep in mind a powered non-Spaun might give you better results than a passive Spaun on long distances. I had to exchange my passive Spaun when I discovered that if I tuned both tuners on one DTivo a certain way, then tried to tune a third tuner to the opposite polarity, there wasn't enough voltage at the LNB to make it happen.

DFM Wizard
09-12-2003, 11:16 PM
I bought a used multi switch at an apparent bargain of $30. I have 2 Hughes and a DSR6K. I used existing cable run's with diplexer's which left me with 1 feed to each unit. After several months of being lazy I had a friend who work's for Comcast help do my 4th run so I could use dual tuner's on my Tivo. It was nice since he had the wire and good fitting's not to mention the correct tool's. Hooked it up and had a signal of 88 on both tuner's. Signal strnght dropped when I first put the switch in. (My first clue....) Everything worked fine for one day. The next day (today) I came home to find the Tivo saying it was searching for signal on Sat input 2. Checked the signal level and #1 was 87 and # 2 was 75, this was on transponder 12. Transponder 13 showed 87 on both and 14 said zero on #2. I ran the #2 feed in through the diplexer on side one and got no input of any kind sat or cable. Yet the original feed gave both. I have the Tivo on 1 input w/o any problem's now. No cable run is longer than 75'. The switch is non powered and works flawlessly if you only run 3 feed's. One minute I have signal on #2 the next it's nothing.

DFM Wizard
09-12-2003, 11:19 PM
So my question is what do you think the problem is? Run's to long? Bad switch (I hope) since my only concern is that the tuner's are ok.

Thanks

BubbleLamp
09-12-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by DFM Wizard
So my question is what do you think the problem is? Run's to long? Bad switch (I hope) since my only concern is that the tuner's are ok.

Thanks

Sure sounds like the switch, but only way to be sure is to eliminate it and see if you still have good signals. But you mention diplexers, that confuses me. They are not designed to split/combine DSS signals. You should have each lead off the dual-LNB going into the switch, and each receiver should be connected directly to the switch.

DFM Wizard
09-12-2003, 11:45 PM
I use the diplexer's as instructed per my local sat. salesman. I run the dual LNB into the switch and my cable tv as the 3rd input. I then only have 1 feed to each receiver where I use a diplexer to split it and send a sat. and antenna feed to the receiver so I can watch local channel's when desired. This setup has worked fine until I tried to run my second tuner.

BubbleLamp
09-13-2003, 12:03 AM
I use the diplexer's as instructed per my local sat. salesman. I run the dual LNB into the switch and my cable tv as the 3rd input. I then only have 1 feed to each receiver where I use a diplexer to split it and send a sat. and antenna feed to the receiver so I can watch local channel's when desired. This setup has worked fine until I tried to run my second tuner.

OK, so it's one of two things, you don't get enough voltage to the LNB itself to control the polarization, or the diplexer isn't passing the control voltage to allow it. Try pulling the diplexer out of the system and see if both tuners work. Make sure you try this while changing channels on a second sat. receiver (also without diplexer). I never saw the problem on my first switch until I tuned 2 tuners on one DSR a certain way, then tried to get a third tuner to work. Basically I didn't have enough voltage for the EVEN polarization to work. I went and got a powered switch and the problem went away.

DFM Wizard
09-13-2003, 12:07 AM
Regardless I think I am going to buy a powered switch. Any suggestion's on what brand and where to buy?

BubbleLamp
09-13-2003, 06:22 PM
Regardless I think I am going to buy a powered switch. Any suggestion's on what brand and where to buy?

Don't really know enough of them to recommend one over the other. I got mine off ebay!

angel-78
09-13-2003, 07:10 PM
I got a 3 of the aspen eagles 5x8 on special from the whole seller my shop buys from for less than $40.00 each I installed two of them at customers houses and have had no complaints at all it is a powered switch and the a couple of the runs were real long at both installs. Most of those switches are the exact same switch except they have a different label on them unless you go with one of the Spauns, but I don't think its worth spending the money personally.

DFM Wizard
09-14-2003, 01:40 PM
Ok thanks I will look around.