PDA

View Full Version : DTivo for $99+ (Current Customers)

slideaway
09-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Not sure if anyone is aware and I know this is not the proper forum but this is a great offer!!

Came across an offer for a DTivo for $99 + $15 S&H + any applicable sale tax.

Just go to Directv.com and sign in to your account. Select 'Get Directv' at the top, then choose 'Current Customers' then enter 'ffdvr' (without the ' ') and continue.

~$120 for a second, backup or test DTivo is a great deal!

Don't know how long its good for but I think its been running since end of Aug (~27th or 28th) so it might not be much longer.

35hr unit and most likely a Series 2.

Good Luck!!

captain_video
09-03-2003, 06:35 PM
This was posted about a week ago in the General Tivo Discussion forum. I've got one on order and should have it delivered in about two weeks.

Hi8
09-03-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
This was posted about a week ago in the General Tivo Discussion forum. I've got one on order and should have it delivered in about two weeks.

me too! I have a HDVR2 coming on the 12th. $99 you can't go wrong. I hope to replace one of my old Sony SVR2000's with it.

My Mom get's my old Sony, and my wife get's the Newest TiVo! the difference is I don't plan on hacking it anytime soon.

I've notice Ebay now has pre-formatted and OS installed 'monted' drives for as low as $59 --

what's the deal with that?

fixn278
09-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Just got mine (came in 4 days.) Tech showed up with the box, plugged it in and left me on the line w/ DTV to activate.

It may be refurbished - I don't see any indication on the box, but there's some writing (perm marker) on the inside I haven't seen on my other HDVR2's. Don't really care, since it has the same warranty (which I already voided) as a new unit.

In goes 2 new WD1200BB's...

Zak0
09-03-2003, 08:15 PM
This is an awesome deal for existing DirecTV customers! I asked my wife about it and she said I could go for it. But then, she asked "why do you want another DirecTivo?" and I didn't have an answer for her... We're never short of space on the existing one - we never have any conflicts...

So, anyone here have a valid argument for me to use for WHY I need a second DirecTivo?

-Zak

FredThompson
09-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Uh...honey, it's better to spend $100 now than $250 later if there's a problem with the one we have.

...it's like having a spare tire...uh...in your car, not on your hips...better not use that one ;)

fixn278
09-03-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Zak0

So, anyone here have a valid argument for me to use for WHY I need a second DirecTivo?

-Zak

I can only offer the reasoning I used...

cause I want it....

Zak0
09-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Okay, here's a better way to phrase the question - I can buy a DVD writer or I can buy a 2nd DirecTivo. Which should it be?

I'm leaning towards DirecTivo 'cause it's cheap now - DVD writers are bound to be even cheaper in a couple of months when I can afford to spend this kind of money again.

On the other hand, my hard drives are getting full FAST - I really NEED the DVD drive... <sigh>

-Zak

captain_video
09-03-2003, 11:59 PM
I told my wife I need it for research. I currently have only series 1 DTivos and I need to learn how to hack the series 2 model. She wasn't too happy about it until I told her I sold another set of Seinfeld DVDs to cover the cost:p .

FredThompson
09-04-2003, 08:35 AM
I still say "as a backup." Take a look at service prices. Truett charges $80 and up...

captain_video
09-04-2003, 10:06 AM
That would work if my wife cared if my DTivos lived or died. She always complains that I spend too much time with my "other" family (i.e. you guys). I tried to convince her that I bought it for her but I should have known better. I hate to sound like a chauvinist but women and technology of any kind just don't get along. This is not true across the board since I work closely with a lot of female Engineers that are absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't share their aptitude or interests. She can deprogram a universal remote faster than anyone I've ever seen and can make turning on a TV an exercise in futility.

keith721
09-04-2003, 12:25 PM
you sure your wife and mine aren't genetic clones? :D

UPDATE: :eek: Holy-jumpin'-bejeebus!! Without the special offer code, they want to rape you for $199 when you're already an existing customer. Mucho many magnificent thanks for posting this thread in the extraction forum. I pretty much read only the extraction area right now, and my old (3rd-gen RCA DSS) DTV receiver is flakey, at best. For $99, I can get rid of the flakey performance, and add a TiVo!! Of course, now I'll need ;) to buy another TurboNet, another 5-port 10/100 switch for the living room, find someone who can hack the old 3rd gen receiver, etc...

09-04-2003, 02:13 PM
CV--
DTivo is the ONLY tech thing that my wife loves. So much easier than trying to shuffle tapes, keep track of schedule changes, deciding which VCR to use for which show...Recorded lots of classic movies during TCM Oscar salute. My wife is concerened I'm not recording enough and at least once a month she goes through the Showcases to make sure I'm not missing anything she might like.

neztik
09-04-2003, 10:23 PM
Great post! Mine will arrive Sat. Saved $100. Just wondering what they are sending Hughes or Phillips? From reading the forum I assume they are identical inside. I prefer the looks of the Phillips. Now to read more on Monte... Thank again!

captain_video
09-04-2003, 10:27 PM
Of course, now I'll need to buy another TurboNet,

No you won't. You'll be getting a series 2 DTivo and Turbonets won't work with them. The good news is that you can buy a USB ethernet adapter for under $20 that will work with a series 2 DTivo. Check the series 2 hacking forum for more info.

fixn278
09-05-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by neztik
Just wondering what they are sending Hughes or Phillips?

HDVR2....

keith721
09-05-2003, 03:57 PM
No, fortunately, I won't have to buy either. If I do indeed receive an Series 2, then I still have a couple each of 3Com Kawasaki LSI 10 Mbit and Pegasus 100 MBit USB adapters from my 3Com Audrey and Compaq IA-1 hacking adventures a couple of years ago.

Right now, I'm looking to pickup a good powered multiswitch. I currently have a dual-feed LNB, with one signal to the bedroom receiver, and one signal to the living room receiver. I'll need to split one (or both) of the feeds to provide both feeds to the living room, where the new DTiVo will replace the old 3rd Gen RCA DSS. Any specific suggestions?

larray
09-06-2003, 01:05 PM
I know that this probably goes without saying, but just in case anyone get a bit tooooo eager (and that never happens to us techies) I have a sneaking suspicion that these are reman'd units. Once again, not a big deal since they carry the same warranty. However, if you hack it you've "bought it".

Mine came in yesterday and I fortunatly held off on hacking it last night. Today I found out that the digital audio out port has a problem (where unknown) and only digital audio is affected. (Get clicking and poping in the line). (Yes I've checked all my cables and connections and a Series 1 on the same line doesn't have this problem).

Upshot, they are swapping it for a new one. Downside, I now have to wait 5 days. (funny when it only took the installer 2 days to get here)

EDIT - thought I'd follow up on my findings. Cool news replacement came in 2 days! Bad news - same problem. Another hour of support calls to finally be refered to Hughes. Hughes quote: "It is a known problem that some recievers cannot play the optical audio output of the HDVR2"

According to their guy they plan on addressing this in a software patch at a date TBD. :( :( :( (very sad) (in other words they don't know when it will be fixed)

Hi8
09-14-2003, 08:55 PM
I finally got my S2 Phillips DSR7000r17

is it me or is it MUCH louder than the series 1 ... I can here it from across the room!

larray
09-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Hi8 - you got a DSR7000 for the $99 deal?

tlphipps
09-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Hi8 - you got a DSR7000 for the $99 deal?

I know you didn't direct this at me, but that's what I got. I was actually hoping for a HDVR2 (I know they're basically the same....wife and I just liked the look of the Hughes better), but all the guy had was a DSR7000r17 The installer just came yesterday and set it up. The great thing about having him come do the install was that he also provided a dual LNB at no cost! So this REALLY saved me some cash.

Thanks DirecTV!

Hi8
09-15-2003, 07:04 AM
Yes... that's what the topic of this thread is, I'm happy as I only paid $99 - but wish it was quiter.

larray
09-15-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi8
Sorry - just trying to ask a simple question. The only reason I ask is that I'm wondering if it suffers from the same digital audio bug as the Hughes. I didn't think it was an option since I had a HDVR2 and they replaced it with an HDVR2. I never thought to ask if the DSR7000 was an option. Now that I know that the DSR7000 is on the $99 deal, I might just go back and ask if I could try one of those.

A

NoCalME
09-15-2003, 03:55 PM
A co-worker jumped on the $99 deal roughly 10 days ago and the installer delivered a brand new DSR7000.

mavrcksd
09-15-2003, 05:30 PM
Mine is on it's way Sept 27th. As I'm only avail on the wknds.

Hmmm So: Can someone give a quick hacker can/cant

on the DSR7000 and the HDVR2?

??

captain_video
09-15-2003, 08:07 PM
I know that this probably goes without saying, but just in case anyone get a bit tooooo eager (and that never happens to us techies) I have a sneaking suspicion that these are reman'd units.

Nope, mine was a brand spanking new DSR7000. If it was a refurb it would have to have a sticker on the case indicating that it was refurbished. I think DTV would also have to indicate up front that they were sending you a refurbished unit instead of a new one. So far, I haven't heard of anyone getting a refurbed DTivo in any of their offers.

hickory
09-15-2003, 09:09 PM
Mine came as a new non-refurbed HDVR2, this is a great deal in my mine and something that DTV has done right!

I have always felt that the deals to get "new" customers was a bit of a slap in the face for long time subscribers. I bought my first RCA DTV ird back in 1995 for over $500 and had to install it myself. I just wanna say thanks to DTV for this deal :D

Hi8
09-16-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Hi8
I finally got my S2 Phillips DSR7000r17

is it me or is it MUCH louder than the series 1 ... I can here it from across the room!

I can't believe that no one has commented on my post --

with all the attention on noisy TiVos, drives fans, cooling etc... those that just got a DSR7000 for the $99 should have seen a BIG difference in the S2 over the S1.

My SAT T60s and SVR2000's are SO MUCH QUIETER than this noisy Phillips. Again for the $99 I'd do it again, and am considering a 2nd before the deal disappears, but it will be used in a location that is less sensitive to peace and quiet.

FredThompson
09-16-2003, 06:18 AM
Well, if it's that noisy, I'll be working on it. What, specifically, is making the noise?

Hi8
09-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by FredThompson
Well, if it's that noisy, I'll be working on it. What, specifically, is making the noise?

haven't pulled the cover, (yet) but my guess is the fan. It's my "Wife's" TiVo. BRAND NEW... "just for her!" I don't dare pull the cover the first week. She's going out this saturday night ... Perhaps?

it's just noisy... I walk in the room and I hear it.

FredThompson
09-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Yeah, probably, loud ball-bearing fans are disappearing from computer use. I was shocked at how quiet the OEM power supplies I picked up today really are. They're as quiet as the $100+ premium power supplies of 2 years ago.

Most drives have moevd to some form of liquid bearing. That's all the moving parts ina DTiVo.

hdvr_too
09-16-2003, 09:09 PM
This deal is still good as of today..although no one I talked to at customer service knew anything about it. They said this was a promotional offer for DTV employees only! Oh well thier mistake is my gain!
I hope it's a HDVR2 so I can clone my current one to it!.

FredThompson
09-16-2003, 09:29 PM
Stupid online process hasn't been working for me. The phone number it gives isn't proper, either.

Proper phone number is 888-355-7530

I'm having the second unit installed next to the existing. Here's what's really cool, they say they'll add whatever cabling and equipment is needed which includes LNBs, multi-switches, etc. Great way to pick up another LNB and multiswitch!

Gotta remember, though, pull your network cables and plug a phone line into your existing box if the installer is going to see it. Best to NOT let them see any non-standard stuff.

hdvr_too
09-16-2003, 10:26 PM
This requires a full 1 year commitment (restarts current committment upon installation) and activation within 30 days or they will charge you an aditional $150. So if you are not keeping this for yourself you would have to deactivate a current reciever to keep from being charged another 4.99 for a second reciever.
No problem for me!
So if anyone is interested in a NEW HDVR2 with 3.1U5 monte, serial bash,tivoweb, working e-NET using wireless USB 802.11b adapter, descrambling enabled,vserver working,tserver working, fixsub working, HU and P4 compatible, with new 120GB Maxtor HD(super quiet). PM me.

gsocket
09-19-2003, 05:48 PM
I just ordered one too and I'm pretty sure that this is some glitch with directv... I first tried to do it over the phone and they said that the $99 deal was for employee "family and friends" (this might explain the "ff" in the code). Anyway, the operator had no idea about the code or the website but said she could give me the deal if I could give her the employee's name and employee #... ?

Anyone know where the code came from originally? Regardless, thanks for posting it and saving me $140 (I would have needed to buy a fair amount of cable and a multiswitch otherwise)