PDA

View Full Version : DSR6000 - Bad Card Reader

dizman
09-03-2003, 10:17 AM
Can't get this unit to accept a card at all, always comes up with insert access card. Even if a card has been isserted. switch in the card reader is broken when a card gets inserted.
Anyone have a way to trouble shoot this, or know how fix it?

mrblack51
09-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by dizman
Can't get this unit to accept a card at all, always comes up with insert access card. Even if a card has been isserted. switch in the card reader is broken when a card gets inserted.

have you visually inspected the unit to see if there is damage to the motherboard? (char marks, burnt electronics smell, etc) look at the card slot, you should be able to see how the card inserted contacts are done. inspect them to see if they appear to be functioning correctly.

TriscuiT
09-03-2003, 02:26 PM
What is the exact error message? It may just not like THAT card.

David Bought
09-03-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by dizman

This is a symptom of two very common problems:

1) as mrblack51 mentioned, several different types of electrical failures in that area of the board have been known to cause this message

2) frequently inserting thick PC boards into the card slot can damage the slot contacts and/or the card sensor switch. This can be tested for by checking the card switch with an ohmmeter, and replacing the slot if defective. (I have purchased and repaired several units in this condition - if yours arrived like that you should report the seller to DIRECTV(R) Signal Integrity so that they can pay the piper.)

GREEK
09-03-2003, 05:49 PM
There are 2 atmel chips on the board towards the front of the tivo close to the IDE connector. They are U67 and U77. U67 sometimes is the bandit, and U77 has been known to cause some problems, but not often. Take a look at the card reader slots, they may be bad. Many of the standard readers like in the dtivos are interchngeable with regular IRD's if they match. I use shot IRD's sometimes in my repairs.