PDA

View Full Version : Adding drives slows menus? (if so how much)

willr666
09-03-2003, 03:17 PM
I am looking to find out how much adding a 120G drive to a 20 hour 212 will slow the performance of the menu system. I have
heard that around 100G (total) the menus start to slow considerably, but am looking for more detailed info. Finally,
is there a way to increase the performance? (it looks like 9th tee has a product in development - but the last update was 4 months ago...)

Thanks
Will

captain_video
09-03-2003, 05:43 PM
I've never heard of increased storage space slowing down the menus. If anything, having ample storage will keep your Tivo from bogging down due to a drive that's near capacity. Think of how a PC behaves when the drive starts getting full (i.e. near 90% capacity). It will slow down tremendously and definitely affect performance. Having the added overhead should have the opposite affect. The same goes for a Tivo. As the drive fills up, new recordings start to get fragmented by placing portions in whatever space is available. Playing back a fragmented file will affect the speed of the menus because the CPU and hard drive are too busy trying to piece together all of the fragmented sections to keep a continuous flow of video to the outputs.

MuscleNerd
09-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Entering the "Now Showing" menu will significantly slow down if you have hundreds of shows saved. It simply takes more time to grab the relevant data from the database with that many shows.

In 4.0 on the standalones, the performance looks better -- partly because it doesn't try to lookup *all* the shows before displaying anything. It immediately displays a screen's worth of shows and then silently grabs the rest in the background.