PDA

View Full Version : Tivo Damage Can Be Repaired?

boboli
09-06-2003, 07:42 AM
Attached is a pic of lightning damage to Tivo. After having my house repeatedly struck by lightning, my Tivo could only receive SIGNAL on SAT 2. SAT 1 input was completely dead. I had confirmed that the dish and LNBs were functioning perfectly. While working with the TIVO, I noticed that all of the sudden, smoke came gushing out of the TIVO. The results are depicted in the attached pic. Is this unit a write-off?
B

GREEK
09-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Its got blown up lnbp chips. Wanna sell it? you need a hot air pencil to remove them, 2 tuners cause they fry too, and 2 lnbp voltage regulators, Very hard to find parts. Someone is selling them in the forsale/trade for 80 a tuner and 60 a chip. thats 160 and 120 = 280 for parts alone!! Probably a doorstop for most. Ive seen them blow right off the board..........

FredThompson
09-06-2003, 07:55 PM
Truett Electronics can probably fix it for you. They're one of, if not the, largest repair places in the U.S. for this type of equipment. Tuners are expensive, no way around that.

SithLord
09-07-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by boboli
Attached is a pic of lightning damage to Tivo. After having my house repeatedly struck by lightning...

Just what the hell is your house made of, copper? :D

Methinks you ought to invest in a lightning rod and have it professionally installed.

GREEK
09-07-2003, 01:08 AM
%&#*&$#$&*#%)(())))))))))()#($#

GREEK
09-07-2003, 01:08 AM
Call truett first before you send it. They are currently out of tuners and can fix the chips, but you DEFINITELY need two tuners. They will not work on extremed tivos by the way, so you need to put a stock image opn the tivo and hope for the best if they have gotten any in........

boboli
09-07-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by GREEK
Its got blown up lnbp chips. Wanna sell it? you need a hot air pencil to remove them, 2 tuners cause they fry too, and 2 lnbp voltage regulators, Very hard to find parts. Someone is selling them in the forsale/trade for 80 a tuner and 60 a chip. thats 160 and 120 = 280 for parts alone!! Probably a doorstop for most. Ive seen them blow right off the board..........

Do you have a part # for the parts involved? Also, is it possible that it's the LNB ICs that is the whole problem and the Tuners are fine? I mean, if the LNB IC went bad, that would prevent SAT 1 input from receiving a signal. Right?
I want to research this some more. If I find I don't have the time or the inclination to fix it, we can make a deal.
B

FredThompson
09-07-2003, 10:29 AM
You're not thinking rationally. How do you suppose the surge got into the unit?

captain_video
09-07-2003, 10:31 AM
You might want to see if the damage from lightning is covered by your Homeowner's policy. They'll usually cover electronics damaged by lightning strikes.

boboli
09-07-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by captain_video
You might want to see if the damage from lightning is covered by your Homeowner's policy. They'll usually cover electronics damaged by lightning strikes.

Yes. Tried that. My deductible makes that not an option, unfortuantly. :mad:
At worst, I have an archive machine. :D If I can get those LNB ICs to quit smoking everytime I power up.
B

SithLord
09-07-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by boboli
Yes. Tried that. My deductible makes that not an option, unfortuantly

That's why you include in your claim other items, enough to cover the amount of the deductible. After all, it's only common sense that more than one electronic item would be affected by a lightning strike. :)

BTW, using a UPS or surge protector wouldn't have helped in the case of a direct lightning strike. Nothing can save an item that is hit by a direct lightning strike.

boboli
09-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by SithLord
That's why you include in your claim other items, enough to cover the amount of the deductible. After all, it's only common sense that more than one electronic item would be affected by a lightning strike. :)

BTW, using a UPS or surge protector wouldn't have helped in the case of a direct lightning strike. Nothing can save an item that is hit by a direct lightning strike.

So I have learned.
As for other items, it would be the truth. I lost quite a bit. Time to call the Insurance Company, I guess. Thanx
B

GREEK
09-07-2003, 04:47 PM
The problem with those chips is nobody sells them. They can be supplied by the 1000s and theyre not as cheap as you think. The supply houses only sell to real businesses, so it was tough. I had to order 1000 and then call LOTS of places begging to resell them at cost. Made some $$ on some folks in HongKong though. Took 2 months, there was no other way for me. I had 4 units of my own hit and wanted to fix and lots of repairs in the future. I ended up with 100 for a great deal and theyre all NEW not pulls, sealed in vacuum slots. When they blow they always take out a tuner, the very few ones I see not taking a tuner out are the ones that arent visibly damaged by surge or lightning, they stop working right. They regulate voltage to the tuners and swithc from different voltages. When they just dud out a tuner is usually good. Otherwise they always always blow, especially if theyre smoking. Even if you replaced the tuners and chips, or just #1 to have it work cheaply, with a lightning hit there is usually more damage just waiting to be unearthed. Something like this ends up being a parts machine for me 40% of the time......sometimes the insurance wants proof its blown up or you need an estimate. And they sometimes keep the stuff for evidence. Pull what you can off your other electronics so you get the most out of the deal. They'll probably never know. HD's at the least.........

MonsieurEd
09-07-2003, 06:06 PM
That's why I chose to have my dish installed under the crawlspace. Haven't been hit yet.:eek:

FredThompson
09-07-2003, 07:28 PM
You know, it sure seems there might be fast-blow surge fuses for coax...

BubbleLamp
09-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by FredThompson
You know, it sure seems there might be fast-blow surge fuses for coax...

A fuse isn't going to stop a 100,000+ volt direct strike! If people are frying their Tivo's via the coax, the dish's grounding would be the first place to look.

GREEK
09-07-2003, 09:21 PM
You know I always thought the same thing BL. I grabbed a fried dtivo last month from a local guy here in NJ that was a contractor. He had grounding rods, a ground to his cold water pipe, and had third wire grounds to the back of the satellite equipment via groung wire to the outlet. I was surprised he got hit. The regular IRDs were fine. THe 3 hdvr2s and the T60 were all shot. 1 hdvrs and the sony were repairable. The 2 hdvr2s had stuff melted. They did another shi$$y job on the sereis 2 units as well. From what I see on the inside, I am shocked at how sensitive the components are. I notice that the aluminum outsides have a fin that touches the main chip on the stand up tuner board. I actually check every unit through my hands and rebend the fin so its real tight on the chipface. Seems all the going or gone tuners that are not lnbp killed have bad heat dissapation on that fin. The tuners can fry eggs at normal use, and are hotter than the power supply. There must not have been a cheaper way to design, you cant get worse than this one. The new ones have the tuners on the board, same s$it though. Like BL said, I doubt anything could catch a 100,000 mega gamma ray jolt from above.

FredThompson
09-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by GREEK
I notice that the aluminum outsides have a fin that touches the main chip on the stand up tuner board. I actually check every unit through my hands and rebend the fin so its real tight on the chipface. Seems all the going or gone tuners that are not lnbp killed have bad heat dissapation on that fin. The tuners can fry eggs at normal use, and are hotter than the power supply. There must not have been a cheaper way to design, you cant get worse than this one. The new ones have the tuners on the board, same s$it though. Like BL said, I doubt anything could catch a 100,000 mega gamma ray jolt from above.

Truett's folks said heat dissipation of the tuners is the most common reason they blow and specifically mentioned that aluminum flange. That's why I'm trying to find thermal phase-change tape. May as well get a good seal.

I guess that's true about a diret lightning strike. It'd have to be one BIIIIIG and FAAAAAST fuse system, wouldn't it?

AlphaWolf
09-08-2003, 12:34 PM
Is there enough room to glue a heat sink onto those?

FredThompson
09-08-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure. Somebody mentioned it in a thread I saw a long time ago. Looks like I'll have to reload my T60 so I can check in the next couple of days. I'm also wondering if the fit is tight between the chips and the drive mounting cage if putting a heat sink on will be a bad idea. If there isn't enough room for air to flow over the heatsink...

Along those lines, I'm replacing the 40 and 60 drives in my T60 with 1 120. That will free up some physical space. Don't really need that much storage with extraction...

GREEK
09-09-2003, 01:13 AM
There sure is AW. I pop off every aluminum tuner cover that comes through here like second nature. The only bad thing is you cant bend them well with the tuner soldered to the board. I just got a roll of thermal adhesive tape and its nice and thick. I popped a piece on the chip thats touching the flange, and threw on DDR RAM heatsinks down the length of the tuners on the backside. Got 20 pieces of ram heatsinks for 12 bucks via fleabay bulk auction and just figured what the hell. Cant tell if its doing anything yet, Im gonna give it two days and recheck the temp on them. I clocked 66c on them after only an hour the stock way. I have a project tivo with acrylic window and neons inside thats almost done and going on fleabay soon. Just wondering what some hotrod kid will pay for one? Thinking of putting a window on the left short side for a side view too....

jhigh
09-10-2003, 09:06 PM
If you want to protect yourself from lightning (financially, if not physically) go get yourself an APC (or other brand) surge protector (or two) with coax surge protection. They include a coverage policy that will cover your homeowner's deductible and up to $xx,000 per strike/surge. You have to read the fine print. If you ever git hit you have to send the equipment off and they will want you to sign off that you only used their brand of surge protectors/ups on your gear.

Be careful. Next time it may not be just the Tivo that dies. I had lightning hit my house and it got a 32" TV, one Tivo tuner, a UPS, a NIC card in a PC and a Firewall. I suspected the surge came through the Cable TV/Cable Modem and worked its way around all the devices. I would hate to lose my new 60" Grand Wega XBR, so I have replaced every power strip/surge protector/ups with all APC. If I get hit I'm using that insurance.

SithLord
09-11-2003, 01:23 AM
jhigh, just remember that NOTHING can protect your electronics from a direct lightning strike, not even the most powerful UPS or surge protector man can build.

jhigh
09-11-2003, 01:43 PM
I think I said that. The point of getting the surge protectors from a single vendor is that they will pay your insurance deductible.

nitrous
09-15-2003, 03:50 PM
If you do a search on motherboard repairs I listed the URLs for Sony, Hughes and Philips for repairs.

Sony is the best deal.. 82$ including shipping, regardless of what is wrong with an out of warranty DTivo. Hughes isn't so good at $130 or so.

If you can't find it, I'll dig up the urls.

n|trous

Ah,forget it...here are the sites :)

http://ccscorporation.net/terms.htm Hughes ($130)
http://www.sel.sony.com/service/plsql/rma.showcost for out of warranty Sony ($82)
http://www.servicedvr.com/DSR6000.asp for the Philips ($99)

cali
09-16-2003, 05:32 PM
Those parts can be replaced without hot air pencil.
Those parts are readily available to me. I have fixed a few for folks on this board, even sold a few to the do-it yourselfer.

IN your case, id just throw it out, because just by looing at the damage I know your tuners are fried, and those too are $80 a piece ( my cost).

Put it on ebay, and let the fools have at it :D