PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Option for DirecTivo

ryanjames91201
09-06-2003, 09:00 PM
Check it out! My Tivo was running too hot - so I mounted one 80mm fan inside the case over the hard drive (intake) and one on top of the case near the back bridging the "firewall" (exhaust). Now, it runs 40 deg celsius and the noise is minimal (my Tivo is inside a closed cabinet though). Post your comments.

FredThompson
09-06-2003, 09:17 PM
That's pretty cool :P

MonsieurEd
09-07-2003, 07:38 PM
I did a similar thing, but internally. Dropped the temp 13 degrees c. Used a Zalman 90mm "quiet fan" with a fan speed control I had in a drawer. It forces the air under the H/D tray and out the other side to help the 60mm stock fan (which I replaced with a Vantec Thermoflow). It's all totally silent. TiVo-Temp was 56 degress C. and now it's around 42-44 (the Vantec 60mm without the 90mm fan dropped it down to 49).

FredThompson
09-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Vantec makes some good silent fans.

Do you have a cat5 crimper? Can always pass the cable through one of the holes in the bottom which should help air flow.

I like your idea to replace the stock 60mm w/Vantec.

MonsieurEd
09-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Yes I do. I was just going to cut the cable to about 6" but have been too lazy and I like the RJ connector on the back.
Originally posted by FredThompson
Vantec makes some good silent fans.

Do you have a cat5 crimper? Can always pass the cable through one of the holes in the bottom which should help air flow.

I like your idea to replace the stock 60mm w/Vantec.

BubbleLamp
09-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Don't know, I tried the Vantec and pulled it back out. It was too "whiny" for me. Still looking for a truly silent, silent fan!

GREEK
09-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Looks good. Thats a nice job+idea there. The vantecs work great in my experience. Best thing you can do is change the fan. I have found that certain vantecs are louder than others, even the same model. You can search the fan specs at most upgrade sites and find a couple aftermarkets that are quieter and move twice as much air than stock. I also notice that running a aftermarket on the motherboard fan pin instead of the HD cable will tune the voltage and noise down and not take away from the airflow much at all.

captain_video
09-07-2003, 11:02 PM
I've got three series 1 DTivos that I run with the covers off. Here's the drive complement and internal temps listed on the System Information screen:

DSR6000 - dual WD1200AB 120GB drives; temp = 41C

DSR6000 - WD1200AB 120GB drive and Maxtor 40GB drive; temp = 49C

GXCEBOT - stock Maxtor 40GB slim height drive and Seagate 120GB drive; temp = 46C

All three DTivos are in the same shelf system listed from bottom to top. No additional cooling modifications of any kind have been done on the DTivos. As you can see, all of them are within what is considered the "safe" operating range (I believe >53C is the max).

The biggest temperature problem in a DTivo from what I can see is that the only ventilation ports are located on the bottom chassis plate. Since heat rises there's not much chance for the heat to escape without a little help. Adding the fans is one scenario or simply leaving the covers off is another. I think a more efficient way of extracting the hear with additional fans would be to have one or two located on the top of the case venting the internal air upwards and out. As long as there is adequate air flow from the bottom then cooler air should be drawn in through the vents and ported out the top. The setup indicated in the first post would probably cool more effectively if both fans pulled air from the case and vented it upward. Raising the chassis an additional 1/2-inch or so should improve air flow immensely. Just my 2 cents.

ryanjames91201
09-07-2003, 11:19 PM
I initially only had the one fan mounted on the left (facing the unit) inside the case - and was exhausting air. My temps in this situation were too high. Just by feel - it seemed that most of the heat was coming from around the power supply. So I turned the original fan around (intake) and mounted a second one on the cover toward the back of the right side. This second fan acted as an exhaust. I believe that this design is effective because it exhausts air from the "left" side of the case (hard drive side) and the "right" side (power supply side) that are separated by the metal "firewall". Just my 2 cents, but it is working like a charm.

FredThompson
09-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
Don't know, I tried the Vantec and pulled it back out. It was too "whiny" for me. Still looking for a truly silent, silent fan! wonder if you had a bad one. I've got the 80mm ones in my PCs on the heatsinks. With the cover on, they're almost impossible to hear. Tenmax makes a lot of low-profile fans. There's also the type which look like a rolling pin, used on a lot of overhead projectors. Don't see how one of those could get in the case, though.

FredThompson
09-08-2003, 09:21 PM
I'm rebuilding my T60 again (oh, the joy) and checked clearance on the large ICs. There's enough room to put 386/486 heatsinks on them as long as the fan portion is removed. The internal fan sucks from the power supply area (wtf?) and exhausts across those chips so heat sinks should be turned so the air goes down the "troughs." What I haven't yet figured out is how to make them stay in place. Thermal grease works a little bit but seems risky. They need to be secured. That phase-change heat tape used on modern heat sinks is a good option, but where to get it? Maybe a dollop of rubber cement on each corner would hold it in place. There's no conductivity issues but it would be sloppy.

Then there's the issue of where air comes from and goes out. The drive mounting cage should do a fairly good job of routing air across the chips, even with the top removed, assuming 2 drives are installed or a flat surface put over the second drive area. Certainly, raising the unit itself will help airflow as exiting air isn't going to be fighting reflected air from the surface the unit is sitting on.

I'm not sure how to better supply the input side of the internal fan without cutting a hole in the top of the case, leaving the top off, or replacing the top with a metal grille. Without no top or a metal grille, I don't think you'd need to raise the unit unless it's on top of a particularly hot piece of electronics.

BubbleLamp
09-08-2003, 09:34 PM
I'm rebuilding my T60 again (oh, the joy) and checked clearance on the large ICs. There's enough room to put 386/486 heatsinks on them as long as the fan portion is removed. The internal fan sucks from the power supply area (wtf?)

If your fan sucks from the power supply side, it's in backwards.

FredThompson
09-08-2003, 09:53 PM
(blush) I didn't check which way it was blowing, just assumed it was blowing over the chips.

That was pretty dumb of me.

MonsieurEd
09-08-2003, 10:12 PM
I purchased a Kalman "chipset cooler" kit which comes with thermal epoxy. I used it to replace the noisy fan on an Asus motherboard with a large heatsink w/o a fan. Once you use this epoxy the heat sink can never be removed. It's great stuff, but permanent.

I'm rebuilding my T60 again (oh, the joy) and checked clearance on the large ICs. There's enough room to put 386/486 heatsinks on them as long as the fan portion is removed. The internal fan sucks from the power supply area (wtf?) and exhausts across those chips so heat sinks should be turned so the air goes down the "troughs." What I haven't yet figured out is how to make them stay in place. Thermal grease works a little bit but seems risky. They need to be secured. That phase-change heat tape used on modern heat sinks is a good option, but where to get it? Maybe a dollop of rubber cement on each corner would hold it in place. There's no conductivity issues but it would be sloppy.

Then there's the issue of where air comes from and goes out. The drive mounting cage should do a fairly good job of routing air across the chips, even with the top removed, assuming 2 drives are installed or a flat surface put over the second drive area. Certainly, raising the unit itself will help airflow as exiting air isn't going to be fighting reflected air from the surface the unit is sitting on.

I'm not sure how to better supply the input side of the internal fan without cutting a hole in the top of the case, leaving the top off, or replacing the top with a metal grille. Without no top or a metal grille, I don't think you'd need to raise the unit unless it's on top of a particularly hot piece of electronics.

FredThompson
09-08-2003, 10:41 PM
Hmmm...can't really think of a reason you'd need to remove a heatsink unless the chip was fried. 486 heatsinks are larger than the ICs in the T60. I've not had the board out, can't tell if the chips could be de-soldered from the bottom.

What I'd really like to do is a small piece of thermal tape and the grease all around it. Not sure how to do that because the grease squished around so it might interfere with the tape. Guess I need to poke around the overclocking sites more. I'll see what those guys suggest.

Toaster
09-09-2003, 12:21 AM
I'm still new to this... so forgive my ignorance.

I have a GXCEBOT and its sitting in my entertainment center cabinet with a glass door, along with my AMP, DVD-players, etc... Its sandwiched between my VCR and CABLE BOX. I had it on top of my TV, but didn't like the look of it there.

While inside my cabinet, between the VCR and CABLE BOX, its running at 59C :eek: that's pretty warm to me.. but it still says "NORMAL", when it was on top of my tv (alone), it was 52C :rolleyes: (again, it said "NORMAL") :confused:

So whats too hot? :confused: Should I be looking in to adding additional cooling at 59C (since its now in its permanent home?)

-Toaster

fixn278
09-09-2003, 01:03 AM
I think 59 is 1 degree away from really bad. Most seem to be content between 52 and 56, but most prefer to be closer to 50 if possible. Most of mine run at 54 or 56 with no issues (yet)

ryanjames91201
09-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Not sure what "too hot" is, but I have operated under the theory that cooler is better (even if operating within the manufacturer's "normal" range)

DgtHorse
09-10-2003, 01:59 AM
This mod dropped my temp from a 60 to a 32 :P

BubbleLamp
09-10-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by DgtHorse
This mod dropped my temp from a 60 to a 32 :P

That's a riot! Who knew Montreal got so darn hot!? :eek:

DgtHorse
09-10-2003, 02:07 AM
That's a riot! Who knew Montreal got so darn hot!? :eek:
Lol i doesn't :P my 2 HDs get hot :)

FredThompson
09-10-2003, 03:13 AM
That's a riot! Who knew Montreal got so darn hot!? :eek: It sure isn't in Winter. I was there for all of January and the grease in this Southern boy's car started to seize up. Food's cheap, though, same numbers as ours but the money's worth 2/3.

ryanjames91201
09-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Love it! The fan controls are sweeeeet.

DgtHorse
09-10-2003, 10:04 AM
heeh thx, took me quite some time to make it but now my HD actually runs at a cool temp. I have 3 fans blowing air in and 1 taking air out. The one taking the air out is where the power supply is which is the only place hot to the touch. I am very happy with the results and not only are my HD's running at an efficient temp but they seem much faster now that they are cooled off.

ryanjames91201
09-10-2003, 12:18 PM
If you look at my design (first post) you will see that my exhaust is in almost the exact same location (toward back over power supply). I'm convinced that this location helps cool the unit most efficiently. What size are your fans?

DgtHorse
09-10-2003, 12:53 PM
1 inch in diameter is what i use for the motherboard cooler, 1inch fan to remove hot air from the power supply. Inside the receiver i separated the power supply completely from the motherbord by completely sealing off the power supply with with hot glue. I also have 2, 2.5 inch fans on top of both my HD's inside. The HD chipset is cooled by the internal tivo fan. i also added a heatsink on the PowerPC processor which is being cooled by my 1-inch fan directed towards the MB.

tungsten2k
09-12-2003, 06:01 AM
DgtHorse, does that come with earplugs ? :D

DgtHorse
09-12-2003, 09:00 AM
i have to agree that without the fan controlling system it was loud. But its barely noticable with it.

geek4tv
09-12-2003, 08:46 PM
How to COOL IT

Made an interesting discovery today. It seems the internal cooling fan on the DSR6000 is a 12Vdc fan running on just 7Vdc. Decided to try running it on an external 9Vdc power supply and it made a big difference. Its pretty simple and the noise increase was minimal. I used a 9Vdc 500ma external power supply. Soldered wireds to the underside of the power supply where power comes into the power supply. Ran those wires over the power supply and attached them to the wall prongs of a 9V dc 500 ma power supply. unplugged the fan from the mother boardand attached it to the power supply watching polarazition.

tungsten2k
09-12-2003, 11:25 PM
this is old news... many people have hooked the fan into the 12v coming off the hard drive connector.

again, whip out the earplugs

SithLord
09-14-2003, 03:28 AM
You ought to write a nice set of instructions on building that mod, then sell that manual. :D

God knows a novice fix-it guy like me could probably use it! LOL

TRILIGHT
09-15-2003, 01:38 AM
It kind of kills the "low profile" design of the T60 though. The design looks are a big reason I went with the T60 instead of the other units. I've been considering upgrading the cooling on mine as well but it would have to all be internal with just holes cut for exhaust. I'm not willing to leave a bunch of stuff poking out.

Could someone let me know what Vantec fan is being used to replace the original? I've seen the name mentioned but no specs on which it is. Obviously, it would have to be the correct type of connection and all.

I really need info on small, powerful, and QUIET fans! I had a 60mm setting around doing nothing so I connected it to the regular power supply to the drives and it sounds like a damn jet engine!! Sounds even louder with the cover on.

FredThompson
09-15-2003, 06:46 AM
There are 2 models of Vantec you might be interested in, Stealth and Thermoflow which has a thermal sensor in the middle of the fan. I have the 60mm Thermoflow and will be trying it soon. Haven't opened the box but it probably has the 4-pin passthru adapter like their other fans.

I'm also putting heatsinks on the CPU and large ICs as mentioned earlier. Maybe Radio Shack has thermal tape...

I guess you could cut air intake/outlet holes on the sides and use some ducting to help move air through the unit. Don't see any reason to isolate the power supply if you're pulling from the left and pushing to the right.

be18driver
09-15-2003, 08:35 AM
Take a look at my thread "A chilling tale".

TRILIGHT
09-15-2003, 12:22 PM
@Fred: Thanks for the info! What I've always wanted to do is replace the stock fan, and then use a really small fan (if I can find one small enough), to fit right between the fins that come up on the right side to assist with exhaust. I would drill holes in the right side of the unit for this fan to exhaust out of since the exhaust side seems more restrictive than the intake side of the unit.

@be18driver: I'll check your thread out. Thanks!

EDIT: I took a look at your pics, be18driver. Nice work! I like it when people pay attention to detail. You obviously put a lot of work into that. For my purposes though, I was wanting to stick with only pull air in or exhausting through the sides or back of the unit. It's rare that I ever put anything on top of the unit but I would not want the airflow restricted if I did. Of course, I may not be able to find fans small enough and quiet enough to do what I want. Your design would probably be my next choice. Where did you get the filter and external piece?

be18driver
09-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Hey Trilight
The fan guard & filter (p/n 148 0265) came from cyberguys.com the same place that I got the fans from.

FredThompson
09-15-2003, 06:33 PM
@trilight, haven't you looked at Tenmax's site?

TRILIGHT
09-16-2003, 12:38 PM
@be18driver: Thanks!

@Fred: Nope. What is it? When I go to tenmax.com I get info for "Tennyson Maxwell Information Systems Inc.".

FredThompson
09-16-2003, 01:20 PM
@TRILIGHT, oops, those are the people who make Teleport Pro. The fans are TenNmax -> http://www.tennmax.com

Toaster
09-16-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Toaster
I'm still new to this... so forgive my ignorance.

I have a GXCEBOT and its sitting in my entertainment center cabinet with a glass door, along with my AMP, DVD-players, etc... Its sandwiched between my VCR and CABLE BOX. I had it on top of my TV, but didn't like the look of it there.

While inside my cabinet, between the VCR and CABLE BOX, its running at 59C :eek: that's pretty warm to me.. but it still says "NORMAL", when it was on top of my tv (alone), it was 52C :rolleyes: (again, it said "NORMAL") :confused:

So whats too hot? :confused: Should I be looking in to adding additional cooling at 59C (since its now in its permanent home?)

-Toaster

just as my own follow up to this, and an FYI to others (like me) who wanted to know... I'm currently running the G-bot without the top on, and it runs at 46c with the lid off... :p

I thought it would run much cooler than that... So my 52c with the lid on, while on top of my tv was pretty good imho.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.