PDA

View Full Version : Can I copy TIVO files directly?

margol
09-08-2003, 03:13 PM
I hope someone can help me.

I have upgraded my Tivo to 120Gb HDD.

The oriignal 40Gb is now installed in my PC.

Before I re-format and reuse this drive I would like (if possible) to copy some of the recordings that are on this drive so that I can ultimately burn them to DVD.

I am not Unix-savvy. I have the MFSTools boot disk (from doing the upgrade) and assume the answer lies somewhere in there.

Can anybody help please?

Martin

captain_video
09-08-2003, 07:41 PM
Use the dd command to copy the contents of your existing drive to the new upgrade drive and then expand the partitions. This will preserve your existing recordings. The info is all in Hinsdale's How To so go back and read through it again. It's all in there.

margol
09-09-2003, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the response.

Perhaps my explanation is not clear. I'm not looking to transfer the recordings to the TIVO upgrade drive. I have already done this and placed that drive in my Tivo.

What I want to do is access the raw recordings from the original 40gb disk which is still in my PC and transfer them to my Windows FAT32 drive so that I can use them to burn a CD (after converting to a compatible mpeg format.
This way I am hoping to have the best quality possible.

I don't have TurboNet or anything like that and all of the searches I have done seem to assume that this is how one is accessing the Tivo.

Thanks