PDA

View Full Version : Newbie just wanted to verify the steps I'm going to take...

Dank
09-09-2003, 12:07 AM
I'm a newbie, I've read up on all of this, and just about to jump into the boat. My equipment is a series 1 SA (Phillips) with an upgraded drive, and I have the TurboNet card ready to install... I also have lots of programs already recorded that I don't want to lose, so I'm not going to go the extreme2.5 route.

So the steps I'm going to take:
1) Follow Steve Jenkin's "TiVo Network Hack How-To Guide" (http://tivo.stevejenkins.com/network.html) . This will install Telnet and FTP, and is the only stage that needs my drive in a PC and not in the TiVo. When done with this step, also hook up the TivoNet and close up the TiVo.
(questions: His guide says to make two floppy boot disks, one DOS and one Linux. If I already have the mfstools boot CD, I can use that instead of the linux floppy he is telling me to make, right?)

2) Move tserver & nowshowing.tcl onto the TiVo via the (now functioning...) FTP. Since I have a standalone series 1, I do not need to install the noscramble.

3) Install TyTool and/or TyStudio to download the files to the PC, or use the MPlayer to watch them streaming over the network.
(questions: do all 3 programs work with the save tserver and nowshowing.tcl files on the tivo? Or do I need to fiddle with those when I switch programs?)

4) Install TivoWeb so I can set up the tivo over the network.

5) Install JPags PPV guide info.
(questions: Is this still up to date? Is there a better solution to the PPV info?)

Those seem to be the major things I want. Any glaring ommisions I've made? Any alternate choices I have? TIA.

-Dan

GREEK
09-09-2003, 02:09 AM
Just to point out...................

My equipment is a series 1 SA (Phillips) with an upgraded drive, and I have the TurboNet card ready to install... I also have lots of programs already recorded that I don't want to lose, so I'm not going to go the extreme2.5 route.

.........in your opening statement you say I'm not going the extreme route. You then state its a series 1 SA(stand alone) philips. The extreme route is for Directv tivos ONLY. You must read the stickys and the howtos in the Tivo section, not the Dtivo section. Just a point out, helpwise, so you know to avoid it......

Dank
09-09-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by GREEK
Just to point out...................
.........in your opening statement you say I'm not going the extreme route. You then state its a series 1 SA(stand alone) philips. The extreme route is for Directv tivos ONLY. You must read the stickys and the howtos in the Tivo section, not the Dtivo section. Just a point out, helpwise, so you know to avoid it......
Ah, yeah, I didn't do any reading on extreme once I realized it wouldn't save my programs and that I didn't want it... So I didn't get far enough to actually see that it was inappropriate as well as unwanted.

But does everything that I actually do want to do look correct?

captain_video
09-09-2003, 08:43 AM
You must read the stickys and the howtos in the Tivo section, not the Dtivo section.

I beg to differ. A lot of the How Tos in the DTivo section also apply to SA Tivos. Your best bet is to read all of the stickys and the FAQ before you start hacking and determine which data pertains to a SA Tivo. The DTivo Hacking forum was originally the main forum before it was split out into a SA forum, extraction forum, and series 2 forum but none of the How Tos or sticky threads went with them. Instead, the How Tos Only sticky thread and other pertinent sticky threads remained in the DTivo hacking forum.