PDA

View Full Version : Best Hard Rive for HDVR2 Upgrade

onebluesphere
09-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Is a 160Gb drive a waste of money?

Do you need greater than 2Mb cache?

Is 7200 RPM likely to cause heat problems? and if you're running 2 drives?

As always, thanks for the great help.

JimJohnny
09-11-2003, 03:35 AM
Speaking for myself my Sony T60 ran really hot with the 40gig 5400 Maxtor. When I replaced it with a 7200rpm Western Digital it ran much cooler. Do you need more than a 100 hours of record time? That is something you can answer for yourself.

captain_video
09-11-2003, 08:33 AM
The Linux kernel in a Tivo can only recognize up to a maximum of 137GB so anything larger than that will go to waste. There is supposed to be a hack available for a S! Tivo that will eliminate this 137GB limitation but I haven'r actually seen it. There is supposed to be one in the works for the S2 models. The amount of cache on the HD is somewhat irrelevent. 1MB should be more than adequate and anything more is overkill.

Heat is always a potential problem in a DTivo but the S2 units seem to have a better cooling setup than the S1 units did. If you add a 2nd hard drive you'll need a bracket from 9th Tee or Weaknees that also includes an extra cooling fan.

Basically, any IDE hard drive of equal or greater capacity than the original will work in a Tivo. Stay away from the IBM Deskstar drives and stick with the name brands like Seagate, Maxtor, or Western Digital. The Seagates have fluid bearings and are supposed to run quieter. This may be of importance if your DTivo is in your bedroom. 5400 rpm drives are desirable since they generate less heat but they are getting more difficult to find. 120GB 7200 rpm drives are cheap and plentiful and can typically be had for around $80.00 with rebates. I've also seen 160GB drives for less than $100 so at that price it's not such a major loss to give up the extra 23GB. Circuit City has WD1200JB drives on sale this week for $159 plus $80 in rebates for a final cost of $79 for a 120GB drive.

thorn
09-16-2003, 12:32 AM
I put a Samsing 120gb in my xbox. it's quiet, cool, and surprisingly fast. Oh and it's cheap at newegg, too.