PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone market over-sized dishes?

FredThompson
09-09-2003, 10:30 PM
I've seen posts where people use the old-style large dishes to get their DirecTV. They say weather problems are not as frequent and spot beam reception is stronger. This makes a lot of sense, the dish is collecting from a larger area.

Are over-sized dishes available in more reasonable sizes? My use is an oval dish but consider this, a 24-inch dish would have almost 75% more area than a 19-inch dish. It's also still fairly large.

BubbleLamp
09-09-2003, 11:23 PM
I'm using a 24" dish. They are available on eBay or regular dealers.

FredThompson
09-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Does the idea that a larger dish gives more reliability in bad weather hold true?

Know where to find over-sized oval dishes?

BubbleLamp
09-10-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by FredThompson
Does the idea that a larger dish gives more reliability in bad weather hold true?

Know where to find over-sized oval dishes?

That's their main selling point according to the sellers. Like I said, eBay or a local dealer. I got mine on eBay.

generic_eric
09-18-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by FredThompson

Not so much.
I don't use directv but I do work in satellite communications. After a little research, I have found that directv operates in the KU frequency band. I know from expierience that KU band systems are susceptible to rain fade. This is your concern. The variable you want to change is the operating signal frequency, to a different one(but that isn't a variable you can change that unless you change service provider and go with the old school Cband service.) It has been my expierence that a C-band is not as susceptible to rain fade. You need a much bigger storm to affect the satellite signal.

Back to your original question though. The larger dish(antenna) will in fact improve your situation. With the increase of the size of the antenna will increase the gain of your antenna, the more gain, the better your receive signal. That is the theory behind the larger antenna.

If you would like to do more research before you buy, then look up rain-fade, gain of a antenna, and frequency bands and different directv antennas.

Hope this helps.

captain_video
09-18-2003, 07:49 PM

That depends on the severity of the weather. I'm using a 30" Perfect10 dish and right now I'm sitting on the edge of Hurricane Isabel and still watching TV so you be the judge. The only time I ever lose a signal is if there's a torrential downpour or extremely dense cloud cover during a heavy snowstorm. If there's sufficient interference between the dish and the satellites it will attenuate the signal to the point where you'll lose your picture no matter what kind of dish you have. The larger dishes give you about 3dB more gain so they should give you a slight edge over 18" dishes in bad weather. You're more likely to lose your signal in moderate weather with a smaller dish than with the large ones.