PDA

View Full Version : Buying Questions

zman127
09-09-2003, 10:40 PM
I was thinking about buying a Hughes HDVR2. I have a couple questions (Well, DUH!) We currently have a two-room system. I would like to convert the to a three-room system.

One of my questions are, Does the extra room fee apply to DirectTivo users?

Can the system be easily upgraded?

Is the HDVR2 the best or should I go with the Phillips?

Is The Phone Line required for updating the guide like a Standalone Series 2?

E-mail me if you want at zmaster127@netscape.com.

captain_video
09-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Each receiver added to your DTV account requires a $4.99 mirroring fee. This also applies to a DirecTivo but even though it has dual tuners you only pay a single miorroring fee. There is also a $4.99/month DVR service fee that is a flat fee for as many DTivos as you want to add to your account. You'll need two satellite feeds to the DTivo to use the dual tuner feature.

Check the series 2 hacking forum for info on hacking a series 2 DTivo. Hinsdale's How To has info on upgrading the hard drive using MFS Tools 2.0.

The HDVR2 and Philips DSR7000 are exactly the same internally.

The guide for a DTivo is downloaded from the satellite. The phone connection is only used for downloading software updates and relaying PPV purchase info to DTV for billing purposes.

DTV is currently offering a special deal to existing customers. You can buy a DirecTivo for $99.00 plus shipping and tax with free "professional" installation. DTV will send someone to your house and install a multiswitch and run the cables for the new DTivo to whatever room you like. The installer will bring the DTivo with him when he comes for the installation. You will need to set up a user name and password to access your DTV account online and take advantage of this offer. Here's a link to the thread discussing the DTivo offer:

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27083

zman127
09-10-2003, 10:38 PM
Thank you very much captain_video. I am trying to decide if I should spend my money on a DirectTiVo or a laptop. I am leaning towards the DirectTiVo because this can record TV while a laptop can't even process Tv unless you have an external card. I will update if I decide to buy the TiVo.