PDA

View Full Version : No Video on Tuner 2 but I do have Guide Data

Football Freak
09-11-2003, 01:51 AM
I have a Sony SAT-60 that I just installed 3.1 with all the hacks. After I finish enabling the dual tuners I have a problem with no video on Tuner 2. I have the Channel Guide Display but no other video display and the screen is black. If I flip back to tuner 1 I have video no problems. This is the 3rd DTIVO I have setup with the XPLUS 3.1 and I have never encountered a problem.
All DTIVOS are subscribed with a P4 card.

Anyone have any advice on what I should be checking to fix this problem?

I searched the forum and the only found one item close to my problem that referenced and EMU? Bubble Lamp was responding to a similar question posted awhile back. I am a raw newbie and I do not know what EMU is or how that might create this type of problem.

since this is one of my first post I want to thank all the folks that have contributed to this forum. I have been able to go from knowing zero to Install XPLUS 3.1, Setting up Video Extraction, Creating my own DVD's. Can't say thanks enough to everyone.

bato
09-11-2003, 09:25 AM
Maybe this doesn't apply to a Sony unit, but for Hughes and Philips sometimes the tuner 2 stop working, you can check the signal strength and if it say 0 on tuner 2 you have this problem.

If this is the problem usualy is fixed by a reboot, or changing many channels with tuner 2.

Your problem may be not related, so do the following:
- make sure you have signal in both tuners
- change the cables from tuner 1 to tuner 2

if you have signal on both, and you change the cables and still have tuner 2 problems then it should be some software problem, if you don't have signal in tuner 2 no matter what maybe is a hardware problem but do a reset and test again.

natureboy
09-11-2003, 12:50 PM
I recently (about 2 weeks now) been having the same problems. Screen gets black but no message saying "No Satellite Signal" and I still have Guide. Sometimes both tuner have the same problem. When I go to test satellite I get "0" on tuner(s) with black screen but still have guide. When I reboot the problem goes away but will come back in about 12 hrs; reboot always fixes problem.

I don't think it's a heat problem because Tivo is running about 34-40 degress all the time.

I don't think it's a harddrive problem because I replaced harddrive with new one; Maxtor 120 5400

I don't think it's an image problem because I reimaged with Xtreme then Xupgrade.

My setup is DSR6000 2.5.2 (Xtreme and Xupgrade) and I have Oval dish.

David Bought
09-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by natureboy
Sometimes both tuner have the same problem. When I go to test satellite I get "0" on tuner(s) with black screen but still have guide.

Seeing guide data on a channel provides no indication of whether or not you have a signal on that channel.

Is there a correlation between any particular transponder and this problem? When you change the transponder on the "zero" tuner do you still get a zero reading?

natureboy
09-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by David Bought
Seeing guide data on a channel provides no indication of whether or not you have a signal on that channel.

Is there a correlation between any particular transponder and this problem? When you change the transponder on the "zero" tuner do you still get a zero reading?

I agee. However, when both tuners produce black screens, I don't get the message "No Satellite Singal" and which i check satellite signal I get no singal for all transponders but still have guide.

I can still press the Tivo button and see Tivo menus, etc. Somethings I see a mosaic pause before it goes to the menus.

What's going on? Any help is greatly appreciated!

TRILIGHT
09-11-2003, 02:26 PM
No signal on all transponders?? First, you need to totally forget about this guide business. It doesn't matter if it's showing up or not. It could be cached. Plug one cable up to input 1. Have good signal strength? Try the other cable on input 1. Have good signal strength? If the answer was "no" to either of those then you have a problem with your LNB or cabling.

Now if you're positive your cabling and LNB is good, you can try testing the second tuner. (Again, forget about tuning to a channel. You need to be in the test menu looking at signal strength) Once you've established you have good signal strength on both tuners by doing this, you should be able to tune to channel 201 on either tuner. Once you've verified this and you still have a problem then it's a DirecTV card problem and you'll need to call them to fix that.

Football Freak
09-11-2003, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I thought I had good signal strength on all the transponders on Tuner 2 but maybe I did not pay close attention to this as I should have. I will double check that when I get home in the am.

Again thanks for the help. :cool:

GREEK
09-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Ecactly. Try each cable with both tuners at the testing signal strength screen. Use a pencil and paper to record the settings. A bar tuner/lnbp chip can do this sporatically, and if its both tuners it could be a bad 30 volt line from the board or power supply. You have to test all to find out...