PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot from cd

SHO
09-11-2003, 03:41 PM
I'm trying to install 25extreme on a two disk drive Gxcebot but my computer won't let me boot from cd. When I go to change the bios it only lets me turn on or off floppy, cd rom, and hard disk. I'm running Win 98SE. I tried turning all devices off except the cd but then I get operating system error. Can I boot off a Linux boot disk and then change to the cd rom drive? If so I do I just type 25extreme? I've been serching and trying but can't find in old posts on this subject. Thanks in advance.:rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

SHO;)

ryanjames91201
09-11-2003, 07:01 PM
May seem too obvious, but sounds like you need a newer computer with a bios that allows booting from CD. Just a word of caution - I tried and tried to get my cd drive to work, but I kept getting some "decompression error" or something. I found a post about using an old cd-rom drive and sure enough it worked first time (after about 3 hrs of trying different images and programs to burn cds with).

captain_video
09-11-2003, 07:48 PM
I've written a tutorial on performing the 2.5Xtreme installation and the 2.5.2 upgrade with all of the usuall pitfalls to avoid during the process. You'll find it on page 4 of the How Tos Only sticky thread in the DirecTV Tivo Hacking Forum.

ryanjames91201 (couldn't think of a shorter user name, could ya?) has a valid point about having an older PC. You might see if you can download an upgrade to your motherboard's BIOS from the manufacturer's website and flash the BIOS chip to allow booting from a CD-ROM drive. If a BIOS upgrade is not available that will let you do this you may want to consider upgrading your motherboard. I use an old ASUS MB with a Celeron 300A CPU overclocked to 450MHz and it works great for hacking Tivo hard drives. You can pick up an old MB and CPU dirt cheap on ebay.

ryanjames91201
09-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Sorry, Captain. The username has special meaning ;)

NutKase
09-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by SHO
Can I boot off a Linux boot disk and then change to the cd rom drive? If so I do I just type 25extreme?

Yes you can boot from a floppy. See my post on this thread.
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27167&highlight=dylan

I'm not sure if you can then use the 25extreme cd by mounting it though as I've never used it (SA S2)

NutKase