PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a UTV cool?

williamn333
09-16-2003, 05:41 PM
Hey guys since I am going to be replacing the tuners I need a way to keep them cool so they don't burn out again. The 2 ideas I had were.... #1 Use a fan to cool them down, but where would I pull power from and also what fan would I use? #2 Put 2 little chipset heatsinks on the tuner ICs themselves. Or hell, maybe both ideas to keep it extra cool! Please let me know what you guys think!

Kazak
09-16-2003, 06:38 PM
Do a search over on the AVS forum. There's been LOTS of discussion about cooling there.

kazak

apn64
09-17-2003, 10:54 AM
I mounted a CPU cooler over the tuners and powered it from the HDD power connector. I also mounted an exhast fan over the grille holes near the front of the power supply.

Not seeing anything close to the tuner-fade that I had before, but I still get the odd one. Thinking about cracking it open again and putting another, possibly intake fan in there.

The real problem is the devices used to interface with and power the LNB's. These are mounted under the main board and use the case as a crude heatsink. Evidently the designers skipped thermodynamics 101: heat rises.

A lot of people use CyberCooler, a device intended for laptop computers.

be18driver
09-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Search for my thread " A chilling tale ".