PDA

View Full Version : newbie looking for help...PLEASE

b_i_g_d
09-17-2003, 11:44 AM
I am sure this question has been answered before but my search resulted in too many results to weed through. I am looking for a newbies guide from start to finish to video extraction. From an off the shelf HDVR2 to complete video extraction (in Layman's terms). I am experienced in computers but i am not up to date on all the TIVO hacking terminology. Is there anyone out there who can help me or point in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have alot of stuff on there that I would like to keep and I am running out of room. Thank you!

TRILIGHT
09-17-2003, 01:21 PM
Since you're a newbie, I'll point you in the right direction but you still have a lot of reading and learning to do. I doubt you will find anyone who's going to give you an A to Z guide for everything from installing a NIC in the unit to xtreme to extraction.

First, something you need to be aware of... if you have an original "off the shelf" unit like you said, the recordings are scrambled. You won't be able to extract and use them in any meaningful way (at least not that I am aware of.) Can you unscramble them? No. They have to be recorded as unscrambled to begin with. How do you do that? By using hacks, which it sounds like you do not have any.

Here are some things you need to read about and learn more about before diving into the deep end...

[list=1]
Xtreme system image and Kraven's update. What they are and what they do for you.
Bash prompt
TiVo Serial Cable
TurboNET (you can buy one from 9th Tee)
Regular file transfer between a computer and the TiVo via FTP or serial, etc.
CHMOD settings and what they do to a file in Linux
[/list=1]

That's just from what I can think of off the top of my head. Before you get started into extracting recordings, you need to learn/do all of the above first. Then you can learn about the different software used to actually extract an unscrambled recording from the unit and what to do with it from there. (I have a TiVo to DVDR guide on my site but you have to have already made all your mods first.)

SteveT
09-17-2003, 02:02 PM
Since b_i_g_d referred to an HDVR2 (and I've just recently gone through the process with my HDVR2), I'll point out a couple of things I learned:

1. Xtreme and Kraven do not work for the HDVR2. They only work for Series 1 Tivos, and the HDVR2 is a series 2.
2. TurboNET is also for the S1. The HDVR2 has a USB port that can be used with a USB NIC.
3. The stickies in the Tivo Series 2 Hacking are _all_ required reading, several times (until everything makes sense)
4. I used Cobelli's guide and had good success.
5. My biggest hurdle was a lack of familiarity with Linux. Take the time to understand the commands you read about, not just blindly repeat them.

Good luck.

b_i_g_d
09-17-2003, 02:49 PM
I have a USB NIC and a pretty good working knowledge of Linux. I have made a copy of my new drive. I had to replace the original drive because I inadvertantly had it hooked up when I booted into Windows so it did something to it where it only reports 10mb. DOH!!! I got a new harddrive from weaknees.com and I bought another 120mb HD of the same make and model samsung I do believe. I don't know if weaknees installs ftp or any other hacks. There is just so much stuff out there and everyone tells their stories a little different. I was looking for a definitive tested and proven way that is not too incredibly hard to understand. Thanks for the help.

captain_video
09-17-2003, 03:13 PM
There's a guide that's been put together by cobelli in the series 2 hacking forum that will do pretty much what you're looking for. It instructs you on getting bash and setting up telnet, ftp, and a static IP address as well as loading Tivoweb, kmem (for unscrambling the video), TyTool and mfs_ftp (for extracting and processing the videos). You might also want to look into the monte hack for more experienced Linux users.

b_i_g_d
09-17-2003, 03:20 PM
Anyone have a copy of the guide? His server says the bandwidth has been exceeded.

SteveT
09-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Here's a copy at rev .13

b_i_g_d
09-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Thank you. This should help greatly.:D

b_i_g_d
09-17-2003, 05:14 PM
Reading through the guide, man, this is what I needed. Thank you all for your help. You guys are what make these forums so great. Any other tips would be great.

Voodoo1
09-17-2003, 08:11 PM
can this guide be used for the StandAlone S2