PDA

View Full Version : Monte/ChainLoading your 4.0 Setup

Voodoo1
09-17-2003, 11:52 AM
I have read everything on this... I have a Tivo Series 2 Standalone... Did I miss something?
Everything/everyone is telling me that I need to:

1. Download a file and transfer it to your S2.
(I cant even log into the S2 for gods sake)

2. Get a copy of images for your S2
(I was told I can chainload into the v4)

3. All the questions that I have asked have not been answered.

I read the documents that MrBlack51 told me to read but they are again, VAGUE!!!

1. How do you log into the S2 (SA) without having to downgrade the software version?

2. How do you monte/chainload into version 4.0?

Any help would b appreciated.

Voodoo1

Dogbert5
09-18-2003, 03:48 AM
OK, I am going to try and help you with this Voodoo1. Just getting to the point were you can get a bash prompt on a Series 2 is a multi-step process. This is not something that you are going to do in 5 minutes. After getting a bash prompt you will then have a variety of steps that will need to be performed to get things like tivoweb, ftp, and video extraction through ftp or through a web browser via tivoweb and ty stream. Again, not a 5 minute process.
The 4.0 software that you have is very new, and many of the tools and techniques you see for older versions are just now being tested and worked out for 4.0. This means many of them just wont work right now on a 4.0 system. You may want to consider downgrading to a 3.2 Kernel and file system. This would be done by obtaining dd images of the 3.2 kernel, and file system partitions, and dd'ing them over the top of the proper partitions on your Tivo drive.

1. You will absolutely need to remove the hard drive from your Tivo, and hook it up to your computer. There is no way around this, so don't ask.
2. Next, you will want to point your browser at http://www.superhero.org/tivo/ , and follow Needo's guide (originally d7o's guide) to Monte a Standalone Series 2. You first step will be to backup your current drive using mfsbackup.
3. Since Needo is supplying the 3.0 Kernel and Filesystem images, you can skip items 6 through 21. Just make sure to put the two images supplied in a directory on you computer's main hard drive.
4. Replace all references to U5 in Needo's document with 3.0, and you should be fine.
5. You will also want to check out this entire thread for some additional information related to this topic... http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25743

Good luck.