PDA

View Full Version : T60 just now threw itself into reboot hell

Selmabody
09-17-2003, 11:59 PM
T60 with xupgrade 2.5

Just a while ago, my T60 rebooted and is now stuck at the "welcome, Powering up" screen. Loads the screen, and then reboots again. The T60 has worked flawlessly for over 4 months. I removed the 120gig HD and replaced with another 120 gig that was setiup at the same time as the first one. I know that it would boot up with this second drive 4 months ago but it too gives me the exact same problem. Any suggestions? Any help?

Thanks!

roundfish
09-19-2003, 10:05 AM
same issue here, my t60 just re boots over and over.. Im sick of this thing and think im going to use it for target practice this weekend!

Selmabody
09-19-2003, 11:17 PM
I got mine up and running by doing two suggestions. First I removed the battery and let it sit unplugged overnight. Second, I found that my IDE cable was loose at the MB while I replaced the battery. All is well now!

roundfish
09-20-2003, 10:26 AM
sounds like a long shot, but ill give it a try- other wise bye bye tivo

Selmabody
09-20-2003, 01:03 PM
If you do decide to trash it, let me know. I can use some spare parts and would be more than willing to send you a few Paypal notes for the unit.

SithLord
09-21-2003, 12:55 AM
roundfish, don't give up. My T60 had the exact same problem. I did everything to troubleshoot it, from reseating the IDE cable to replacing the boot BIOS battery--nothing. Finally, hinsdale checked my hard drives. The stock one was shot. I saved my 120GB add-on drive and put another 120GB one in there and guess what? Problem solved.

GREEK
09-22-2003, 12:43 AM
Very common HD problem AND power supply problem. A half baked power supply is the biggest cause of reboot loops, very overlooked. Those that have 2 series 1 just swap the supplies and test. Then do the drives and test. I bet its one of the two......

roundfish
09-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. tried the cable and battery trick with no luck. guess its time to look at the drive and power supply. On a possible related note; my T60 is set up in my media closet that gets a little warm. Ive seen it get up to 95F in there. Is that too hot for the tivo to remain happy?
Thanks for the help!

GREEK
09-24-2003, 07:28 PM
thats in the manufacturers spec ranges, but the cooler the better. Doesnt hae to be heat related, these things are made like junk, doesnt take much to hurt them, and they do a good job of going bad all on their own, theres as many bad ones as good ones going around.

TRILIGHT
10-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Just FYI... my unit went into a reboot loop when the second hard drive went "tits up" (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27982) today. ;)