PDA

View Full Version : Using Netcat to backup?

tivomaster
09-18-2003, 06:55 AM
I want to backup my /var partition using tar and/or dd. I have been looking at netcat and have a question. Can I use that as the destination of a tar/dd command? I would like to start netcat in listen mode on my PC then execute the dd command on the Tivo and pipe it to the netcat port I opened on the PC. Will this work or do I have to go the NFS/SMB route?

tivomaster
09-18-2003, 08:50 AM
I think I found my answer, Yes... (Thanks Google)..

Being that dd is dangerous command, I would like to bounce what I plan on doing on a tivo/linux expert as a sanity check and in hoping to keep my wife from neutering me if I blow up our tivo...

1. Start Netcat on my PC.
nc -v -p 30000 -l > image.gz
2. Fireup DD on the TiVo and pass it though gzip to netcat on the PC
dd if=/dev/hda9 bs=1024K | gzip -c | nc -v IP_OF_PC 30000

PS:
MOD if you think this belongs in the newbe category feel free to move it.

BubbleLamp
09-18-2003, 07:32 PM
I think you'll have problems backing up the MFS unless you shutdown myworld. This had been kicked around before, but I don't know if any has actually done it.

Sleeper
09-26-2003, 01:02 AM
What would really be cool is if the Tivo could boot over the network. I know there has been limited discussion of this. I believe the prom will support it. Anyway, assuming that you could do it, and overcome the signed kernel issue (this might require a modified prom), then you could boot the tivo off your network. The network boot could run a backup script automatically. So all that you would have to do is reboot the Tivo and away you go.

Of course, this could also be used for installation and restoration.

I will explore this more when I'm done with my current Tivo project.