PDA

View Full Version : Non-working modem

Shaahid 786 1
09-18-2003, 05:27 PM
On ebay theyre selling tivos with non working modems pretty cheap. since im going to use a usb to ethernet adapter does it matter if the modem doesnt work?

captain_video
09-18-2003, 07:42 PM
If they're series 1 Tivos they don't have USB ports. Standalone Tivos need a modem to dial into Tivo HQ for downloading guide info. You can't do this via the internet. You can get an external modem and set it up to work via your serial port on the Tivo. You can also repair the modem using one of the kits offered by 9th Tee or have it repaired by ElectricLegs. Check out the 9th Tee website for info on both options. Weaknees offers external modems at a premium price but you may be able to get a external generic modem and use it. I don't know what special setup an external modem requires other than setting the dialing prefix in the phone setup menu. I think it's something like #,401 but it shouldn't be hard to find the info with a search.

Shaahid 786 1
09-18-2003, 07:47 PM
its a sony svr-2000 tivo... dont they have usb ports?

Shaahid 786 1
09-18-2003, 09:20 PM
ok i jsut found it doesnt, and this REALLY sucks. but i think i have an idea but dont no if it would work... what if i buy a serial to usb adapter http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3431567939&category=41995 and then buy a usb to ethernet adapter. would that work?

BubbleLamp
09-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Shaahid 786 1
ok i jsut found it doesnt, and this REALLY sucks. but i think i have an idea but dont no if it would work... what if i buy a serial to usb adapter http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3431567939&category=41995 and then buy a usb to ethernet adapter. would that work?

There is no point in going thru all that, if there is a serial port on the Tivo, then you could connect an external modem to the serial port. Some people have managed to get this working, but it takes some hacking.

(I don't know anything about the unit in question, so ignore this if there is no serial port.)

Shaahid 786 1
09-18-2003, 10:24 PM
but would it work this way?

BubbleLamp
09-18-2003, 10:55 PM
but would it work this way?

Like I said, it takes a fair bit of hacking to accomplish this. It is not for the faint of heart, you're better off getting a working unit.

Shaahid 786 1
09-18-2003, 11:05 PM
even if i was to get a working unit i wouldnt use that modem because i dont wanna use a phoneline. how much hacking? and can u show me a guide?

BubbleLamp
09-18-2003, 11:29 PM
even if i was to get a working unit i wouldnt use that modem because i dont wanna use a phoneline. how much hacking? and can u show me a guide?

That is a Stand Alone Tivo, so it must connect to Tivo if you want to use it normally (e.g. use the guide, schedule the shows, etc.). To connect, it must either dial with a modem, or connect over the internet using a Turbonet. Check the Stand Alone (Tivo Hacks) section of this board for more info about hacking these boxes.

Shaahid 786 1
09-19-2003, 04:31 PM
im trying to find a alternative to turbonet, and these seems like itll work but i need to no how to get it working.

BubbleLamp
09-19-2003, 06:59 PM
im trying to find a alternative to turbonet, and these seems like itll work but i need to no how to get it working.

And I told you. You can hack the device to use an external modem via the serial port. Do I have step by step instructions, nope.