PDA

View Full Version : Loss of tuner signal on input A OR B after drive upgrade on HDVR2

Foilingdrool
09-18-2003, 11:32 PM
I have a Series 1 DSR6000 and have made many mods without difficulty. I am puzzled by the problem I am having with my second receiver, a new Hughes HDVR2. After performing the drive upgrade (replaced the 40 GB Drive A with a 120 GB Drive A) everything seemed to work fine. Then as soon as I restart the unit I lose total satellite input signal on Sat input 1.

Thinking the unit was bad (and the DVR CSR at DirecTV agreed), I RMA'd the unit and received a replacement. Now on the new unit, after a reboot I lose signal on Sat input 2 (at least I can configure it as a single cable configuration, but obviously lose the record/record feature which is NFG).

I have not performed ANY other hacks on this HDVR2 other than the standard Hindsdale "drive A to a larger drive A" operation. Has anyone seen or heard of this issue? Besides if I restore the "virgin" backup everything works fine again until the next reboot. Can someone please help!!!!

Thanks!

Sleeper
09-19-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Foilingdrool
besides if I restore the "virgin" backup everything works fine again until the next reboot. Can someone please help!!!!
Thanks!

Are you saying that the problem still occurs with the original drive/image (no hacks) in the unit?

I would look at your multiswitch and cabling. First determine if the problem is internal to the DTivo, or external to it. Try process of elimination.

If you have an external multiswitch and one in your dishes lnb, try bypassing it and connect the DTivo directly up to the dish.

If you have just a multiswitch in your dish, try using the other 2 ports.

You may also want to check the resistance between your center conductor and shield with an ohm meter. There should be no (infinity) resistance. Do this with both ends of the cable disconnected. Also check any splices in the cable if you have any.

Foilingdrool
09-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the reply but I am 99.99% sure it is not a problem with the dish or cabling. I performed the following on another new HDVR2 that came straight out of the box without making ANY mods to the unit and got the same results. I go through all of the install procedures and everything works fine.

Then.... I restart the receiver from the menu and when it comes up it once again has a loss of signal on Sat 2 input. Interestingly, certain transponders, starting with 12 throught 21 show signal strength on both meters, anything above or below has ZERO on Sat 2 with a normal signal on Sat input 1. WTF?

To eliminate the LNB, cabling, and multiswitch, I set up a spare dish with short 20 ft cables running straight from the spare dish and dual LNB into the receiver. So.... the only thing in common in this scenario is the reciever itself. Guess what? The same problem presents itself exactly as described above.

I think there is a bad run of receivers or a software problem from DTV/Tivo, after spending hours on the phone with a CSR, tech supp, senior tech supp, and supervisor, all they can say is let us send out a tech to fix the problem.... yeah, that will work :-( Please if any one else is experiencing this problem or has information to share please chime in so that perhaps DirecTV will look at this and present a solution. Thanks!

cr8zyhorse
09-26-2003, 02:56 PM
I had this exact same problem when I started hacking my HDVR2. The Sat 2 would cut out. I could swap the in coming Sat cable and the problem would stay on Sat 2. I could restore my virgin backup and the HDVR2 would work fine (Sat1 and Sat2). Like you said, it went back to the hacked backup it would work until I restarted the HDVR2 then it would do the same thing. I did get the problem to stop, but the way did it does not make since. I had been putting my HDVR2 in standby every time before I unplugged it (this made since to me to be the best way.) But one time, when I had been having the problem with the Sat 2 not working, I unplugged the HDVR2 without putting it standby. When I plugged it back in minutes later it came up with the Sat 2 working.:eek: Ever since then when I unplug it I just pull out the power. I have not had the problem since. I know this does not make any since, but I do know that my Sat 2 works now and I have not had any problems with it since then.

req
10-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by cr8zyhorse
I had this exact same problem when I started hacking my HDVR2. The Sat 2 would cut out. I could swap the in coming Sat cable and the problem would stay on Sat 2. I could restore my virgin backup and the HDVR2 would work fine (Sat1 and Sat2). Like you said, it went back to the hacked backup it would work until I restarted the HDVR2 then it would do the same thing. I did get the problem to stop, but the way did it does not make since. I had been putting my HDVR2 in standby every time before I unplugged it (this made since to me to be the best way.) But one time, when I had been having the problem with the Sat 2 not working, I unplugged the HDVR2 without putting it standby. When I plugged it back in minutes later it came up with the Sat 2 working.:eek: Ever since then when I unplug it I just pull out the power. I have not had the problem since. I know this does not make any since, but I do know that my Sat 2 works now and I have not had any problems with it since then.

i'm having the same issue actually.. interestingly enough, i had another HDVR2..put my A and B drives into it, and both signals worked. I put the drives back into my original HDVR2, and it worked..once it rebooted, no workie again. Very odd. I take it a lot more people have hacked the HDVR2..is this not a known issue whatsoever??? Does it have anything to do with a hacked 'dssapp' ? Foilingdrool..did you end up fixing it?

Foilingdrool
10-02-2003, 09:53 AM
I've recevied a brand new RMA'd unit.... did not even open the cover and the same exact problem. I've spent hours on the phone with DirecTV, finally talked to an advanced tech in the Tivo support group. He definitely concluded that I was "unlucky" and got two bad units, (of course I could not tell him that restoring the original "virgin" image on the first "bad" unit fixed the problem until the next power cycle because I would have voided the warranty.)

He was very nice and spent quite a bit of time searching the defect (bug) database and could not find other reports of the problem. He also told me an interesting piece of information... they don't consider a problem an "official bug" until five (5) people have reported the issue.

So my best advice is to take the time, call in to a CSR, ask directly for the Tivo/DVR support group and REPORT THE PROBLEM as described in the thread. As I said, it has nothing to do with hacks or adding Hard Disk capacity... it occurs on a fresh, untouched unit right out of the box.

This is important... until we have five separate individuals report this problem they will NOT look into this as a real bug with the HDVR2 unit. They will treat it as a bad unit and send you only two replacements and that is if you arm twist a Supervisor into agreeing to do so (their policy is to send only one replacement). After you see the same problem again on your replacment unit you are basically screwed. BTW, I am CONVINCED after getting two units that it is not a hardware problem. If it was the restore would not fix it every singe time (about 4 times in my case) as it did with the first unit. Note that the original hard drive from the first unit that was never booted exhibited the exact same problem, out of desperation I re-installed and booted the factory drive for the first time and got the same unfortunate result.

Finally... no, my problem is still not fixed! Fortuntately the second unit has tuner 2 go out so I can only use it as a single tuner unit until I get the problem fixed, which at this point I don't know how that will happen unless you folks CALL IN TO TIVO/DVR tech support and report this. Thanks for listening and please make the call.

penogg
10-02-2003, 12:26 PM
I have 2 HDVR2’s , one I upgraded (hacked) , and the other I was almost finished upgrading when this problem occurred with it.

The only difference was that I only have one input in my “test” area. So I hooked up the first receiver and it didn’t seem to have any problems with it.

On the second receiver, I even hooked up the virgin/factory drive and had the same problems.

Also I have tried taking out the battery and let the memory die, no luck there as well.

Now I’m trying the “full” reset that takes an hour..

If that doesn’t work, looks like it will be going back for another.

The problem is when it goes through the satellite setup, it has great signal, then goes into multi-switch and gives me an error:

Mutiswitch: DisEqC

101 (A):right side not detected
119 (B):not detected

P

req
10-02-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Foilingdrool
I've recevied a brand new RMA'd unit.... did not even open the cover and the same exact problem. I've spent hours on the phone with DirecTV, finally talked to an advanced tech in the Tivo support group. He definitely concluded that I was "unlucky" and got two bad units, (of course I could not tell him that restoring the original "virgin" image on the first "bad" unit fixed the problem until the next power cycle because I would have voided the warranty.)

He was very nice and spent quite a bit of time searching the defect (bug) database and could not find other reports of the problem. He also told me an interesting piece of information... they don't consider a problem an "official bug" until five (5) people have reported the issue.

So my best advice is to take the time, call in to a CSR, ask directly for the Tivo/DVR support group and REPORT THE PROBLEM as described in the thread. As I said, it has nothing to do with hacks or adding Hard Disk capacity... it occurs on a fresh, untouched unit right out of the box.

This is important... until we have five separate individuals report this problem they will NOT look into this as a real bug with the HDVR2 unit. They will treat it as a bad unit and send you only two replacements and that is if you arm twist a Supervisor into agreeing to do so (their policy is to send only one replacement). After you see the same problem again on your replacment unit you are basically screwed. BTW, I am CONVINCED after getting two units that it is not a hardware problem. If it was the restore would not fix it every singe time (about 4 times in my case) as it did with the first unit. Note that the original hard drive from the first unit that was never booted exhibited the exact same problem, out of desperation I re-installed and booted the factory drive for the first time and got the same unfortunate result.

Finally... no, my problem is still not fixed! Fortuntately the second unit has tuner 2 go out so I can only use it as a single tuner unit until I get the problem fixed, which at this point I don't know how that will happen unless you folks CALL IN TO TIVO/DVR tech support and report this. Thanks for listening and please make the call.

DisEqC ....I get the SAME weird character sometimes. Sometimes it shows "4x4 switch" and sometimes "DisEqC" ...really odd. I think I may try the "grounding" method shown above. What a pain..... Maybe our multiswitches arent behaving well with our Tivos?

GREEK
10-02-2003, 10:24 PM
This is a hush hush problem with the new series 2 units. You ownt get much out of DTV but from what I hear there is over a 15% return rate on the hdvr2's and not as high on the dsr7000. From looking at them they look identical but after closer inspection they have some different brand chips on the board. They also officially renamed the hdvr2 cause alot of fools were buying them thinking they were the new HD capable tivos coming out next year, dont know if they did any hardware/software mods thoug. BTW maybe a different version image may help, dont know which version or both is having the problems........

Foilingdrool
10-03-2003, 10:26 AM
This may be a hush-hush problem, but the more people that report it, the better chance people that those that get two bad receviers with this problem will not have to beg to get a third (after spending an hour on the phone to get to a Supervisor).

According to a very friendly senior tech support person in the DirecTivo group, he said that unless they get five reports of the same problem they will NOT seriously investigate it. Otherwise, DirecTV CSR's will continue to send out replacement receivers and some of you will have the possibility of getting a second unit with the same problem. If that happens your life will be miserable because their policy is to NOT send a third replacement.

This DTivo tech earnestly searched the "problem database" and told me he could not find a reference to the problem. If it was really hush-hush, you would think that he would have said so at that point after going through a chain of 4 people to get to him (and he did seem very honest and forthcoming about known issues).

So..... please call into Tivo support directly at 800-695-9251 and explain this problem. Feel free to mention that you have seem a multitude of others on the forums with the same issue. Once they get five reports of the problem the tech said that it will "officially" get logged and investigated. Hopefully they will fix this and we all won't need to spend uneeded wasted time on the phone, swapping receivers, and searching the forums for an answer to a problem with the receiver, not the installation. Thanks!

PRskin73
10-18-2003, 03:09 PM
hello all...
I have a series 1 T-60 and a couple of days ago I lost my signal in input #2. I switched the cables and still get a signal from both feeds in input 1 but nothing on input 2. The only difference is that my problem seems to come and go and it usually happens late at nite, but today the signal's been off all day so far. I started to think back and I remember that it happened the day after I turned off the scramble signal (so I can download the video stream to my PC). I am at a loss and I can not figure out what to do. Just wanted to let u know that this aint happening to Series 2 receiver only.
Something else no one else has stated is that I went into the satellite signal test and when I am testing satellite A 101 degrees I only get a signal on input 1. Now when I try satellite B 119 degrees I can actually pick up a faint signal in input 2 but ONLY in the transponders 23, 25, 27, 29, and 31. The signal strength never goes above 30.

Weird stuff

snj2000
11-12-2003, 07:26 AM
For what it is worth, I am getting the same Satellite 101 no signal message with my DSR6000 with version 2.51. I get the error, then a few hours later, usually the next morning, signal is restored. I too had been "playing" with the noscramble option. Usually I have noscramble enabled, but somehow disabled it and recorded some shows, so have been switching back & forth to view shows depending if it was set or not. Then if I forget to re-set noscramble, I record more shows with nocramble disabled and the cycle continues! Don't know if switching noscramble has anything to do with the signal loss message, or if it is just coincidence.

Buckeyes1995
11-12-2003, 08:16 AM
I had to return a brand new HDVR2 unit I bought from Bestbuy.com for the exact same problem. SAT A went out and no matter what I did could not get it to work.. now I did NOT put the origninal drive in as I don't see how in any way that could be kernel/software related, but maybe I should have tried that.. anways the return was painless and I got a new one on the spot.

Jim

GREEK
11-12-2003, 07:20 PM
reboot your recievers through system reset and restart receiver using the thumbs down 3 times then enter. It seems to help alot of other people. There is some sort of reset type situation happening with these things...............

snj2000
11-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Thanks GREEK I will try that. Just to be absolutely clear, when you say:
"reboot your recievers through system reset and restart receiver using the thumbs down 3 times then enter."

Reboot & reset is all one function that is executed by doing thumbs down 3 times then enter from the SYSTEM RESET/ RESTART THE RECEIVER menu.
I don't want to miss a step.....

THanks!

GREEK
11-14-2003, 07:09 PM
basically if you go into the menus, the 2nd or 3rd page has reset system as the last choice on the bottom of the screen, select that. It gives you 4 options, restart receiver, reset thumbs down/up, reset guide data, clear and delete everything. Just choose the first one and it will simply turn off and then back on and go through the boot up process and acquire signal again. This does the trick so far mostly. AND for a little info, it is unsafe to just pull the plug on a linux box, the factory trained techs are told to do this system reboot as described, and keep your hand on the plug. There is a 1-2 second "flash" in between the cycle for on and off, and thats when you pull the plug, very very safe, and the proper way to shut down a tivo. In stand-by, the tivo is still on, just not displaying a picture, so its no help to pull the plug that way. Kinda how windows does scandisk if the computer stops suddenly to check for errors on the HD, same principle with linux.......

snj2000
11-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Thanks again GREEK

I did the system reset (not the power off)last night. However I still get the loss of signal. I was getting 90% this afternoon when I tested it, so I will see what happens tonight. I have a friend's signal meter, so I will test it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip on poweroff during the couple seconds after a system reset. I will try that too.

hotrod5.0
11-20-2003, 12:09 PM
I bought one of those $99 Dtivos a few of weeks ago, activated it, and started using it, unhacked. My plans were to play with the hacks when I got the chance. I had left the phone line unplugged to reduce the chance of damage (I've lost a several of modems due to my phone lines), and to keep the original s/w for when I started the hacks. The unit was working fine on both tuners but it needed to call home so I plugged the phone in so it could call home and of course it upgraded the s/w. When I restarted the unit, it would not aquire the satellites. I restarted again, still no love. I moved it to where I had a working 2 tuner UTV, nada. When going through the SAT setup I could get signal on a few transponders and nothing on most, and hardly any gave signal on both tuners together. I called DTV/DVR support and they tried to work with me, the guy even metioned the 28% (mine was stopping at 26%, if it got anything at all) problem, but nothing seemed to work. He also told me about the 5 incident policy as mentioned earlier in this thread. By the time I quit screwing with it I couldn't get any signal on either tuner on any transponder.

It just seems odd to me that the tuners would completely quit after a "Software Upgrade" when they were working fine before.

Spydertech
11-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Ok, does this make any sense???

HDVR2 - running 3.1.1b - can't acquire sat info. Signal strength is excellent on all but a few transponders (same readings as a HDVR2 that works fine).

Now - why would it not be able to acquire the sat info - yet the transponders are good?

And I have tested the cabling. Well, the HDVR2 sitting under it runnig the monte 3.1.1b works just fine when I use the same cable.....

vertex
02-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Ok, does this make any sense???

HDVR2 - running 3.1.1b - can't acquire sat info. Signal strength is excellent on all but a few transponders (same readings as a HDVR2 that works fine).

Now - why would it not be able to acquire the sat info - yet the transponders are good?

And I have tested the cabling. Well, the HDVR2 sitting under it runnig the monte 3.1.1b works just fine when I use the same cable.....

ive had the same problem as all of you, i rebooted the machine 3 times in a row and boom back to normal. i had called in and had a tech coming in the morning, but i didnt feel like swapping out the drives and setting everything up to look normal.

gottaloveit
03-30-2004, 08:59 PM
I have the same problem with my dvr2

Most of the time after a restart it comes up.

Today however it did not. I unplugged the network adapter (usb200m) and booted everything fine, did a couple of times and no problems.

I guess I just boot and then plug the adapter in.

tsboise
12-08-2006, 10:27 PM
I have the same problem with my dvr2

Most of the time after a restart it comes up.

Today however it did not. I unplugged the network adapter (usb200m) and booted everything fine, did a couple of times and no problems.

I guess I just boot and then plug the adapter in.

I just completed upgrading the disk and some hacks. When I booted up SAT 2 was NOT ENABLED. I tried everything in this thread. I unplugged my Linksys USB100M adapter and rebooted with no luck. Then I went to Messages and Setup > Settings > Satellite and ran the Auto-Detect Satellite Information. I got a completely different menu then when the USB adapter was installed. It asked me if I wanted to enable both SAT receivers. After running through the setup I have not had a problem even when the USB adapter is connected and I reboot. Looks like the USB adapter interfered with the satellite setup somehow. I don't understand why this worked but it did!

Thanks to everyone in this forum for all the ideas!