PDA

View Full Version : How do disk copy with WINHEX?

flyerman
09-19-2003, 09:07 PM
How can I disk copy with WINHEX? I have a 3.5 120GB drive that I want to tranfer to another drive. I setup the drives and started winhex to disk copy but I keep getting an error of "Can't read "0" sector of destination drive? I formated the destination drive and it is the same size(120GB disk). I select disk copy whole drive and start at sector "0", is this correct?

Should the UTV drive be a master drive? There are no jumpers on my 120GB?
Please help? You can PM me if you don't want to post or send to rnappi@yahoo.com Thanks.

apn64
09-20-2003, 11:22 AM
WinHEX does a fine job of disk-to-disk copying. I think you have one or both of the following problems;

1. Unregistered or improperly cracked version of WinHEX

2. Trying to read or write a locked UTV drive.

Both are easy to solve.

flyerman
09-21-2003, 01:18 AM
When I go to diskcopy do I select start at "0" sector on destination disk?

What does error in winhex mean when it is saying, "can't write text file". I am trying to copy the offsets and can't seem to write the file?

apn64
09-21-2003, 11:01 AM
I've never seen that error :confused:, but the method to copy a disk is as follows;

1. Select Tools, then Disk Tools and Clone Disk
2. Select your source file or disk
3. Select your destination disk
4. Check Copy Entire Source
5. Enter '0' (no quotes) in Start Sector (destination)
6. (optional) Check Log procedure silently to keep a record
6. Press OK and ignore the warnings about corrupting the destination disk.

flyerman
09-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Thank you for the steps and that is what I did and received the error your taking about then the next error showed up about making a text file error.

When I get a new drive do I need to do anything with that new drive to prepare it for this procedure. ie format, init, zero some way.

apn64
09-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by flyerman
When I get a new drive do I need to do anything with that new drive to prepare it for this procedure. ie format, init, zero some way.

No, since the destination drive will be a direct clone of the first. Just setup the jumpers to ensure that the new drive is recgnized by your BIOS.

satchmoe
09-22-2003, 08:00 PM
flyerman:yes put a jumper on your drive when you put it in your computer master or slave or csel don't think it matters but my computer will not read an unlocked drive without putting the jumper on, then remove it to put it back in your utv.

flyerman
09-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Do yo mean when I pull the hot IDE cable off of the drive out of the UTV put a jumper on and put the computer IDE cable on.
Correct?

Thanks for all your help. Without these forums I would have given up trying.

satchmoe
09-22-2003, 11:12 PM
yes thats what I mean, thats what i have to do to my 120 bb every time or winhex gives an error sometimes xp finds it without the jumper sometimes not my seagate has a jumper in the utv so it doesn't give this problem.

runner1974
10-04-2003, 03:03 AM
I successfully upgraded from a 40GB drive to a new 120GB Western Digital. it took the better part of the day, but I ended up doing a disk copy from the 40GB to the 120GB.

Everything seems to be working as I have all my saved recordings on the new drive and under Settings it showed that I have ~130 hours. HOWEVER, under history it shows that I'm nearly full (80%). I tested this to see whether this number was simply incorrect, but it'll only allow me to start up two more recordings before it gives me an error message about being out of space.

Is it possible that I don't have access to the entire drive? When I imaged the disk (using WinHex), I copied the entire disk over, so the only thing I can think of is perhaps it didn't increase the partition size.

Has anyone run into this before?

Kazak
10-04-2003, 08:37 AM
Doing a whole disk copy doesn't work for just the reason you stated.

There is a legnthy thread on this subject over at the AVS forum. If you just copy the OS image over, then at bootup it seems to lay out the correct partitioning and you get the whole capacity. One poster implies that there is a tedious way to copy each partition over but I'm not sure if it is explained or not.

Good luck,

kazak