PDA

View Full Version : Tivo stops at 28%

ironwork80
09-21-2003, 11:51 AM
I have a DSR6000 Phillips all in one DTiVo with two imputs. Was having problems so tried to erase all infor and start all over. When the receiver came to setup, I used the Dish Guided Setup. When It was at Detecting Satellites it stops at 28%, and just hangs there. Does anyone know a solution. I think something on the programing got erased. Oh I also have lifetime programing. Really appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!!

tytyty
09-21-2003, 12:21 PM
See post just below this one in fourm answer is there. BTW searching with see results as posts is your friend......

ironwork80
09-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Thank you tytyty. It worked. I'm up and running again. Thanks again.

TRILIGHT
10-03-2003, 04:10 AM
Ok,this is really starting to PISS me off! When my unit boots, it goes through the acquiring information screen. When the unit gets to 64%, it seems to sit for a really long time. Eventually, it continues but then gives me a screen saying that not all data could be acquired and I should run guided setup or watch live TV. Ok, the fact that I can get past this is NOT the issue! My unit ran FINE before I had to reload the whole damn thing from scratch!

So I decide to run the guided setup. BAM!! Freakin stuck at 28% and the unit is locked up at that point. I never ran any mvchannels stuff which is what I've read when doing searches. I took a clean drive...put 2.5xtreme on it, booted it up in the TiVo, then put the xupgrade to get it to 2.5.2 on it, put it back in the TiVo and booted up. I've had this damn problem ever since and I cannot make it go away! Can someone please give me a solution to this problem? This is EXTREMELY annoying! Thanks!

mrblack51
10-03-2003, 10:31 AM
check the sticky in avs's dtivo section

TRILIGHT
10-03-2003, 12:34 PM
I appreciate your time, Mr. Black! I went thinking I would see something different than the "pull the cables" bit but that was it. While a lot of people see this "workaround" as a "solution", it is not. It does not solve the problem itself.

I also do not buy into the "it's a DirecTV transponder problem". If that was the case, why does the other TiVo unit here at the house go through acquiring sat data just fine? Not to mention the fact that, right before my hard drive died, this exact same receiver had NO problems whatsoever going through the acquisition.

As you can imagine, I'm usually on the box doing something and then reboot it. I was able to reboot all day long and never have an acquisition problem with the unit before. I had run 2.5 for a few months and then ended up adding the 2.5.2 upgrade later. I had network logos and I never had a problem acquiring satellite information. This time, I installed 2.5 and then went straight to installing the 2.5.2 upgrade.

I really do not believe that this is a DirecTV problem and I do not believe that disconnecting cables is a "solution". It is simply annoying as hell that, everytime I reboot the box, it gets stuck at 64-65% and then I have to see the damn "sat error" screen again and go through it all to get back to TV. The problem has to be due to a configuration difference in the setup before and the setup now. It cannot possibly be coincidence.

BubbleLamp
10-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by TRILIGHT
I really do not believe that this is a DirecTV problem and I do not believe that disconnecting cables is a "solution". It is simply annoying as hell that, everytime I reboot the box, it gets stuck at 64-65% and then I have to see the damn "sat error" screen again and go through it all to get back to TV. The problem has to be due to a configuration difference in the setup before and the setup now. It cannot possibly be coincidence.

And just to make things more confusing, I have NEVER had this problem, on 3 different DSR6K's even while others are seeing it all the time. I really don't know the cause, but also heard it was due to the sat being slightly mal-adjusted.

TRILIGHT
10-03-2003, 01:10 PM
Exactly! This same box in the same location had no problems before. I've seen all sorts of postings during the month of September where people are reporting the problem. I know that I rebooted that box plenty during last month and it went through acquisition just fine. Every time.

As for the "sat being maladjusted", are you referring to the dish itself, bubble? The dish is rock solid. This is the same dish and same connections that worked fine just hours before. There is another TiVo unit here at the house that works just fine on these connections as well. I feel this is directly related to something not being right on the drive itself. I wish I knew more about what the SDD was doing at night but the damn thing doesn't seem to write a log for it though it appears as if it should.

BubbleLamp
10-03-2003, 02:15 PM
Exactly! This same box in the same location had no problems before. I've seen all sorts of postings during the month of September where people are reporting the problem. I know that I rebooted that box plenty during last month and it went through acquisition just fine. Every time.

As for the "sat being maladjusted", are you referring to the dish itself, bubble? The dish is rock solid. This is the same dish and same connections that worked fine just hours before. There is another TiVo unit here at the house that works just fine on these connections as well. I feel this is directly related to something not being right on the drive itself. I wish I knew more about what the SDD was doing at night but the damn thing doesn't seem to write a log for it though it appears as if it should.

Not the dish, the satellite in the sky! Supposedly even people with non-Tivo receivers were having similar issues.

TRILIGHT
10-03-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
Not the dish, the satellite in the sky! Supposedly even people with non-Tivo receivers were having similar issues.

I see. How can it be explained that I was fine until the reload though? And why would the same stream information be fine on one unit and not another? I would imagine the same bits are falling from the sky here to my dish and into the other receiver that doesn't have a problem (and this one before the reload). :)

Incidentally, I did a "Thumbs Up" during the acquisition to get the details. It keeps listing "Lock=True" for everything until it gets to transponder 32 and then it changes to "Lock=False". Yet, if you check the strength of that transponder after the fact, I am in the upper 80's on both feeds from the dish.

There has to be something in the acquisition routines that is causing this failure. I have a hunch that it is directly related to Service Data Downloads but I only know of the SVCLOG which is not showing anything for now though there appeared to be a download the past two nights.

mrblack51
10-03-2003, 07:07 PM
the reason it was fine until a reload, is that, in general, the problem is only an issue during guided setup, or before guided setup has taken place. Once it finishes that sort of procedure, rebooting doesnt affect it, and it won't stick on 28%

TRILIGHT
10-03-2003, 07:15 PM
Perhaps it is my misunderstanding then, Mr. Black. I read all the stuff about removing cables and running the guided setup. I did this. I let it get to the spot about "fix it later" and I selected that. Then, everyone says to connect the cables. I did and, as usual, it choked during around the 65% range on acquisition. Should I have let it set at 0% for a certain amount of time first? Will that eventually time out as well? I did not read it as such but perhaps I did it wrong.

I can get to TV. It's not like others where they say they can't even get to TV. I have an option that says "Watch Live TV". The error message says that I can watch channels for which info has been found. I've not found a problem watching or recording anything. The annoyance comes when I do a reboot on the unit and end up with the same damn problem when it hits 64-65% on the boot acquisition. Everytime, I have to see the error screen and then choose to go to live TV. Let me know about that 0% on the guided setup. If I'm supposed to let that set for an hour or something crazy, let me know. Thanks!!

TRILIGHT
10-04-2003, 12:16 AM
Ok, I figured I would try a new approach. Since my damn network icons/logos are not working as they should, I decided to just blow away the whole thing and start from scratch. I had the same problem trying to run the setup in 2.5, however, I WAS able to get past it just fine doing the "unplug the cables" trick. Now the important thing here is that I did this while in 2.5. I have not yet upgraded to 2.5.2.

Before, I booted into 2.5 but then went straight to 2.5.2 and no matter what I did, I could not get past it. It always hung. Now I know this doesn't necessarily help someone who doesn't want to blow away their whole drive and start with 2.5. But if you're at that point anyway and do not stand to lose anything, I highly recommend you run the guided setup in 2.5 BEFORE attempting any upgrade to 2.5.2!!

Soleil
10-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Hi, I am now wandering if this could be related to the locals in any way, my Philips DTivo 1 has been rock solid fow over two years.

Two weeks ago I finally decide it was time to get my locals to work so I did the clear everything trick, and yes my locals came back. It was good news since it had not work in over six months. I am very busy at work and did not want to loose it all by playing with my DTivo. So I left it alone until I had a couple of days to play.

Now once in a while my DTivo reboot by itself and get stock at 70% (always at this number). It does not get past it until I reboot it again with bash and the reboot command.

I am running v3.1.0-01-1-001 and have check all my cable and found no problem.

My next step will be to try to get rid of the locals and see if that help. I am not sure how I will do that yet but if anyone would comment on this, Please.

Soleil

mrblack51
10-04-2003, 11:08 AM
People: each percent that the tivo shows during its aquiring satellite phase means something. 28% means it can't lock onto TP 30/32. 70% means somehting different, as does 65%. Maybe we should start tracking the cause of that stuff and make a database of %s and their meaning.

TRILIGHT
10-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by mrblack51
People: each percent that the tivo shows during its aquiring satellite phase means something. 28% means it can't lock onto TP 30/32. 70% means somehting different, as does 65%. Maybe we should start tracking the cause of that stuff and make a database of %s and their meaning.

I think that's a really great idea, Mr. Black! I looked all over trying to find information on my particular problem. Part of what made it difficult was sifting through people talking about a million different problems all associated with getting stuck at a particular acquisition point. If in fact a particular percentage is associated with a particular transponder and those are associated with particular things (spot beam, certain channels, etc.) then I agree that it would be a great idea to form a table for this!

mrblack51
10-04-2003, 10:59 PM
I think that's a really great idea, Mr. Black! I looked all over trying to find information on my particular problem. Part of what made it difficult was sifting through people talking about a million different problems all associated with getting stuck at a particular acquisition point. If in fact a particular percentage is associated with a particular transponder and those are associated with particular things (spot beam, certain channels, etc.) then I agree that it would be a great idea to form a table for this!

its not a particular transponder in general, but more with 28%. in general, each percent indicates a specific point in the initialization phase.

captain_video
10-05-2003, 12:06 AM
I just had the 28% hangup problem for the first time ever this evening. I had been using an Hu card that was giving me grief in that the time zones were all hosed. I pulled the card and rebooted and when it prompted me to insert my access card I inserted my P4 card and discovered I had lost all my locals. I've been futzing with it all night using midupdate2.tcl to try and get them back to no avail. I actually had them back for a short period but they all disappeared again.

I ran through guided setup a couple of different times but it hung up each time until I did the sat feed disconnect thing and selected the option to fix it later. I'm in the process of extracting all of the shows currently on the drive and I'll let it sit overnight to see if anything improves by morning. Otherwise it's gonna get a fresh install of 2.5Xtreme and the 2.5.2 upgrade. Ironically, I just made a backup of all of my different DTivo images today because my hard drive containing the original backups went belly up this morning. I may try reloading the backup image first to see if I can get my locals back.

captain_video
10-05-2003, 10:22 AM
The locals did not show up after letting it sit all night. I extracted all of the current recordings to prepare for having to do a fresh install but I thought I'd try a Clear Program Data & To Do List before going to that extreme (no pun intended). The good news is that the Clear Program Data & To Do List got my locals back without having to re-extreme the drive. The great news is that I also got channel 100 and the rest of the DTV channels back that had disappeared after upgrading to 2.5.2.

Livin
10-09-2003, 11:47 AM
Mine sticks at 64%... can someone please point me to the thread on the "fixes" (workarounds) becasue I searched and cannnot find.

much appreciated!

TRILIGHT
10-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Livin
Mine sticks at 64%... can someone please point me to the thread on the "fixes" (workarounds) becasue I searched and cannnot find.

much appreciated!

It's the same thing as the 28% problem. It's 28% during guided setup and 64% during the regular acquisition. Follow the instructions for disconnecting the cables and then reconnecting them. However, just to warn you ahead of time, I was on 2.5.2 and was not able to clear the problem at all. I had to do the "disconnect trick" while at 2.5 and then upgrade to 2.5.2. Good luck.

Livin
10-10-2003, 07:08 PM
I've done several things as well as this:
These are the steps I went through.
1) remove sat 1 and sat 2 input cables from back of receiver
2) reboot box, go through the set up process as normal without the sat inputs connected
3) select "go on, I'll solve later"
4) at 0% screen, reconnect sat 1 & sat 2

I have a Dishnetwork dual dish (the lnbs say 119 & 110 degrees)
Is there anything I need to do differently?
When I look at signal strength, most transponders are in the 70+ range... a few are in the 30s and two (4 & 24) are 0!

what gives?

any help is appreciated!

quantum_3
11-12-2003, 10:14 PM
i just had a power outage and when it came back on i got the blessed 28% hang up. i am running 3.1 w/xplusz and after reading this thread and playing for an hour i still couldnt get the sat info above 61%.
What fixed it for me was doing :

/var/hack# xp
enter xPlusz command #61

TmkLogger: <134>Nov 13 02:17:10 tcl[214]: Tcl created pool of 1458176 bytes
Wed Nov 12 03 18:17:12 xPlusz v3.10 started, entry code='#61'
Wed Nov 12 03 18:17:12 processing command '#61'
Wed Nov 12 03 18:17:12 starting mvchannels reset file=M3.1.0
Wed Nov 12 03 18:17:43 mvchannels reset ended, rc=0
Wed Nov 12 03 18:17:43 xPlusz.ini: replacing 'variable ADDLOCS_VALUE {"::" "rese
t :1052879861:0" "dumploc :1052792860:0" "reload :1052869133:0" "::" "::" "::"}'
with ' variable ADDLOCS_VALUE {"::" "reset :1052879861:0" "dumploc :1052792860
:0" "reload :1052869133:0" "::" "::" "::"}'
Wed Nov 12 03 18:17:44 xPlusz.ini: replacing ' variable ADDLOCS_VALUE {"::" "re
set :1052879861:0" "dumploc :1052792860:0" "reload :1052869133:0" "::" "::" "::"
}' with ' variable ADDLOCS_VALUE {"::" "reset :1068689863:0" "dumploc :10527928
60:0" "reload :1052869133:0" "::" "::" "::"}'
Wed Nov 12 03 18:17:44 xPlusz exiting, rc=0
/var/hack#

it reset mvchannels and it booted right up with no problems.

ps...i havent been using mvchannels since we can no longer get multi-locals so its been quite awhile. i just thought if it worked for me it might work for you as well :)

Q_3