PDA

View Full Version : Cloned 120GB now blinking lights?

flyerman
09-23-2003, 11:10 PM
I cloned a 120 to 120 and put the new one in and I get blinking lights (Green, red and blue.)?

razorr69
09-24-2003, 05:18 PM
check you jumper settings.

flyerman
09-24-2003, 09:24 PM
Does switching hard drives from one unit to another tip off the UTV machine to zero the drive out

razorr69
09-25-2003, 05:25 PM
this info is from another post

A UTV will only let itself be married to one hard drive at a time.

This will let you format a hard drive to a virgin state if you start to install a hard drive in a unit that is already married to another drive. When you get the continuous cycling of the green, red & yellow lights, this means the UTV has unlocked the security password on the "new" drive & is starting to format it. After about 5 minutes you need to disconnect the IDE connector from the hard drive but leave the power connected. You should leave it in this state at least 1 minute per GB. Don't leave the IDE connected or else the UTV will set the password & marry to the new drive. Then you won't be able to use your old one.

hope this helps

wad
09-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Joking aside, this is why you cannot just swap drives or clone drives directly. The utv unit genreates a new password every time a new hard drive is installed in it. This private password(even thought the public password is the same for all drives) is genereated everytime a new drive with a new serial number is put into the utv, the password is stored on the m/b in the onboard rom.

When you just simply put an unlocked drive in the utv with a good image(need to emphasis this cause I have had bad images and locked drives and not been able to recover them) the utv sees it as a new utv unit and generates a private password and writes it to the drive and then to the onboard rom.

So from this no matter how many times you change the drive it generates a new password, this is why you can't put an old drive back in after you have booted the machine with a new drive, you can never go back!

So to test the utv you need to have multiple dirves and unlock, zero and reapply an image each time you want to change drives.

PS: not sure if the password on the rom is encrytped(probably) or to what bit level either but you can be assured that they must encrypt it.

flyerman
09-25-2003, 07:09 PM
Yes, this does help and I do appreciate both for given me this information. I thought i was doing something wrong which is usually the case. Thanks.

satchmoe
09-26-2003, 11:09 PM
hmm strange...I've cloned 40 to 40 and 40 to 45 more than once with no problem at all other than 40 to 45 still equals 40
you may have something corrupt on the drive. either in sector zero or in the image area. all fat partitions should be rebuilt if anything is corrupt in them. your not trying to set a password are you? if you set the master it will be rewrittin if you try to set a user password and it's not the right one your drive will be zeroed
if you have a logic analyzer and set the drives to the same correct password then either one will work.