PDA

View Full Version : Switching HD's?

flyerman
09-24-2003, 08:15 AM
I tried switching HD's and I think that the UTV will automatically zero the drive out if you switch drives from one unit to another. Is this correct?

kgibbons
09-24-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by flyerman
I tried switching HD's and I think that the UTV will automatically zero the drive out if you switch drives from one unit to another. Is this correct?

Hey flyerman,

That's not correct.. if you pull a HD out of a UTV system, that hard drive is locked AND "married" to the old system. The only thing you can do with the drive at that point is to use the hard drive unlocker utility to wipe it clean.

And if you put a different drive in the system, it either has to be a completely unformatted and zero'd out drive, OR a drive that already has a UTV image overlaid onto the drive correctly.

If you use a clean drive with no image, the first thing your UTV will want to do is call out to retrieve the UTV operating system. If you're using a P4 card, then this is fine... because you will pull down v3.7 of the software via the telephone line. But if you're using an HU card, you need to be using v3.5 of the software.

And of course the only way to get v3.5 onto a drive is to either clone your existing drive over to a larger one, or use winhex with a v3.5 image.

Hope to helps...

flyerman
09-24-2003, 10:08 PM
It sure does because I was trying to swap drives around and I the drives would start getting zeroed out. That is because they are married and the unit didn't like it.

Thanks for the information because you saved me a lot of troubles. Bob

satchmoe
09-26-2003, 11:17 PM
actually he is correct if you swap drives between differant utvs
the utv will zero the drive because the password doesn't match
after the drive is zeroed it will set a new password that's why unplugging the cable after it starts zeroing will leave you with a unlocked and zeroed drive. after the drive is zeroed the unit will call out for a new image.