PDA

View Full Version : No Satellite signal !!!!

Loopie111
09-24-2003, 09:40 AM
I have a hughes gxcebot that recieves no satellite signal at all. I know my dish is pointed ok because it works with other units. All of the transponders are at 0% signal strength. I have tried loading new software to see if it was software related but it is not. The lnb chips look good, In fact the whole board looks brand new. Does anyone have suggestions on how I could trouble shoot this problem to find out if it is the lnb chips or the tuner? Is there any other components that would make this happen? I do not know much about the history of this unit. Should I just send it to ccs for repair, they will repair it for a flat fee of $130 including return shipping.

Thanks for the input

GREEK
09-24-2003, 07:44 PM
You are missing a 30 volt line from the supply. Its either right on the supply itself, or look in between the space of tuners #1 and #2. In that little crack use a flashlight and magnifying glass and look for one of the tiny little ceramic caps missing. You'll see black burnt up around it. If its not there look to the left of the parlex ribbon cable from the power supply to the mainboard. YOu are missing something. THis is of course if its BOTH tuners that are dead. You didnt say if you both tuners, check #2 if not and post back results.

Loopie111
09-25-2003, 10:56 AM
Yes, both signal's are at 0%. I looked at the board and everything looks good (chips you suggested). I compared it to my working unit and they look the same. Do you think it could be the parlex cable? I am going to try the eraser trick. If I take the power supply out of the working unit and try it on the broken one is there a chance I could damage the good power supply. (no tivo would be very bad!) I read that the small vertical board on the power supply goes bad sometimes. Is it likely that it could be the culprit?

GREEK
09-25-2003, 02:20 PM
if you dont have damage at C61 (thats the # on the board in white at that chip mark between the tuners) use a voltometer on C259 and C256. they are in a block to the left of the black connector on the main board that accepts the parlex. test on the power supply side of the ceramic resistors. I bet its less than 10 vilts. Go ahead and try the other supply, if it works, which it probably will, I would go back and really examine the board. Spend like 15 minutes looking it over like a detective. They are so easy to miss it takes me many tries to find stuff too. Were talking about the tiny little ceramic chips as big as a match head. thats what your looking for between the tuners as well. May not be burnt, may just have fallen off or popped. IF it works with other power supply still look around for damage, or it will blow again if it goes unfound. The switching board may or may not be the culprit. Theres a bunch of spots that go on p/s............

Loopie111
09-25-2003, 03:19 PM
C61 looks good, c259 and c256 were .7 volts. I also checked the volts at the 5 connections from the parlex ribbon. The results were (from front of tivo to back) 3.3, 0, 5.0, .7, 0 volts. Does this mean its the power supply? If I put a new power supply on it could a chip be bad and blow the new supply. Do you have any power supply's? If so how much would you charge for one.
Thanks for the help!

cali
09-25-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Loopie111
C61 looks good, c259 and c256 were .7 volts. I also checked the volts at the 5 connections from the parlex ribbon. The results were (from front of tivo to back) 3.3, 0, 5.0, .7, 0 volts. Does this mean its the power supply? If I put a new power supply on it could a chip be bad and blow the new supply. Do you have any power supply's? If so how much would you charge for one.
Thanks for the help!

0.7 V?
Now go back and measure the resistance of that same point to ground. Make sure your power is off.
Do you have 24V on the LNB regulators?

Measure the V output on your tuners(rf connector- middle to gnd)
You should see it change form 13V to 18V as you switch between even and odd xpndrs.

Post back.

Loopie111
09-25-2003, 07:52 PM
The resistance for both c256 & c259 is 3.8. The voltage for the sat transponders is 13.54 (odd) and 18.67 (even). Where do I measure for the lnb regulators?

cali
09-25-2003, 08:01 PM
K, based on that I will say one ( most likely both) tuner are defective.

You next step is to remove them one at a time and see if the short goes away.

If I rememebr, its the 7th pin on the tuner. Measure that 7th pin to the case of the tuner. Whichever tuner measures short/low ohms is the bad one.

I'll bet money that both are bad.

Loopie111
09-25-2003, 08:22 PM
Thanks alot Greek and Cali for all the help. I think I'm going to send it to ccs for repair (I have read that tuner's are hard to come by. They charge $130 including return shipping. That will fix any problem including a bad hard drive. Does this sound reasonable to you? Any other places that you know of to send it for repair?

Loopie111
09-25-2003, 08:37 PM
A quick unrelated question: I have a hard drive with 2.5 xtreme and put it in a tivo it will flash the prom upon startup. If I use the same drive in a different tivo will it flash the prom for that tivo also? I ask because I have multipule units I need to upgrade to 252 that the prom has not been flashed on yet.

cali
09-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Thanks alot Greek and Cali for all the help. I think I'm going to send it to ccs for repair (I have read that tuner's are hard to come by. They charge $130 including return shipping. That will fix any problem including a bad hard drive. Does this sound reasonable to you? Any other places that you know of to send it for repair?
and if both tuners are bad? :eek:

cali
09-27-2003, 02:20 PM
A quick unrelated question: I have a hard drive with 2.5 xtreme and put it in a tivo it will flash the prom upon startup. If I use the same drive in a different tivo will it flash the prom for that tivo also? I ask because I have multipule units I need to upgrade to 252 that the prom has not been flashed on yet.

As far as I know its one flash per new install.

GREEK
09-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Yeah its one flash per install. Same flash for is used for 2.5.2, dont need to do again after 2.5, just need it 1 time. You can set up 2.5.2 to flash by adding a -p to the command at install.......upgrd252.sh -p is what you need. As for the tuners, Cali is on the money. I'd bet its both tuners as well. I will add that I recentely had 2 receivers with the same deal, and BOTH had bad supplies as well. The resistence tests Cali had you do are really important, more so than the actual voltages. .7 at the parlex tells me your missing the 30volt line from the supply. 7th pin is the one to test, depending on how handy you are is where you go from here. Read some posts on repairs, different members have used different places. MAKE SURE they have access to tuners, alot of places do any repairs but those, they can't get parts from what I understand....