View Full Version : newbie series 2 hacking info?

09-24-2003, 02:53 PM
I've got a series 1 hacked and extracting, I want to get another tivo now and am trying to decide between buying another series 1 or getting a series 2.

I was wondering if there are any newbie guides to hacking the series 2 that goes through and explains the process and maybe even gives some differences between hacking a S2 over an S1.

Also, what are your guys opinions on the quality of the S2 over the S1? is the extra trouble of hacking a S2 worth it?

09-24-2003, 04:21 PM
Check out cobelli's guide in the series 2 hacking forum for a hacking guide. There's also a mini tutorial embedded in the 2-card monte hack thread. Run a search for "full monte" and it should be one of the earliest posts in the results.

You won't see any difference in the image quality between a series 1 and 2 model, if that's what you're looking for. The series 2 units are more difficult to hack and you can't do everything that you can with a series 1 unit. You can set it up for video extraction and Tivoweb, which are probably among the two most popular hacks going. One thing you need to take into account is that series 1 DTivos are no longer available except through sources like ebay. Series 2 units are cheap and plentiful and the series 1 models won't last forever so it makes sense to start looking at the S2 models.

DTV is running a special on S2 DTivos for $99.00 plus tax and shipping for existing customers. Compare that to $249.00 for a unit at Best Buy or Circuit City and it's an absolute steal. The only caveat is that they include "professional" installation which means someone has to be home when the guy shows up at your door to deliver your new DTivo. They'll install a multi-switch and run the extra sat feeds for you at no extra charge. You will have to extend your DTV subscription for an additional 12 months when activating the new DTivo, but that's standard for activation of any new DTV receiver. Check out the DTivo hacking forum for info on the special offer.