PDA

View Full Version : GXCEBOT Reboots with orange PWR light

ahonamous
09-24-2003, 03:48 PM
I have been reading and reading, but I am out of ideas with a GXCEBOT that reboots.. I got the GXCEBOT and was told it "just wasn't working and I don't know why". Before I got it, it had a 40MB HD and required a p4. I put in a brand new Maxtor 40MB, imaged with a clean 2.0 image. I would only get the "Powering Up" screen. I figured that maybe I am having prom/image conflict issues and went to the xtreame 2.5 image. I got a step further. It now boots up, gives me the welcome message, and after about 30 seconds the PWR light turns from green to orange and reboots. I built a serial cable thinking I ccould jump into a bash shell and look at the boot-up process for a blown modem, but I cannot even get the bash shell. (I am using tera term 9600,8N1).

Oh, I have tried both CS Enabled and Master jumper settings with no difference on the drive with no change in results. I have also tried playing with the little white ribbon cable--no luck.

I am thinking it may be a power supply issue, but would that be the case if I am getting a welcome screen?

I am thinking of using my PC to boot into the drive and disabling the modem test.

Anyone know what an orange PWR light means, or have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Anne

GREEK
09-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Its definitely not the modem. that would stick you at almost there. The tivo looks to the first bus after the welcome screen, so you have either a bad drive/ribbon or something related to the HD, OR a bad power supply. The orange light doesnt mean much, but if you cant get bash thats not good. That tells me the HD is not functioning properly. Do yo have another unit to swap parts with? If not it will be tough to diagnose this. If you have a multimeter you can probe next to the ribbon connector on the mainboard and check the ceramic cap voltages for the power supply to see what the board is seeing. Try turning the little orange pot screw on the power supply all the way up........

cali
09-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by GREEK
Try turning the little orange pot screw on the power supply all the way up........

I wouldnt do that!

Measure the V and see whats there and whats not.
Also , unplug the Hard drive, and turn the unit on.
Leave it at welcome powering up, and see if it reboots @ that screen on its own.

David Bought
09-26-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ahonamous
Anyone know what an orange PWR light means, or have any other suggestions?

The orange power light, under normal operation, occurs near the checkpanic-asic command in rc.sysinit. This is an external signal to you, the user, that you may enter a kickstart code. At this point you have no way of knowing whether or not this check is related to the unwanted reset.

If this check in rc.sysinit is what is causing the orange light, you CAN get a shell on the box. You should insert a bash command line very early in rc.sysinit and step through the boot process by hand to learn specifically which hardware operation(s) are causing the unwanted reset.

ahonamous
09-27-2003, 03:37 PM
These are some great ideas, and while I am still not up and running, I think I am closer..

I started the box without a hard drive, it came to "Welcome. Powering Up..." and did nothing. No reboot.. Nothing.

I hooked up the power to the hard drive (a 7200RPM Maxtor Diamondback Plus 40GB) , but not the IDE ribbon. Same thing.. "Welcome.." but no reboot.

I attach the hard drive IDE cable and I am back to rebooting. From that, I would guess that the image may be the problem. I am going to try again with the image before any more hardware tweaks.

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Anne

GREEK
09-27-2003, 06:25 PM
the reason I told you to try the pot screw is some p/s are on the low side while most I see are already all the way up. Ive seen a slightly low 12v line do this with a new drive more than a few times, and then put the suspected bad suppply in another unit and it runs fine. If your capable definitley probe for voltages. Bought's advice is excellent, if you can get bash it can be fixed, or at least figured out to say the least. First thing is to redownload an image, burn at 4x speed or less, and do it the right way. Most likely HD related. If it doesnt go, tweak your rc.sysinit. Once you get bash you can really find out whats going on.

ahonamous
10-08-2003, 02:41 PM
I got my hands on a semi-working DSR6000 (blown modem, but it at least reports back "almost there") and swapped hard drives. I am basically getting the same issue.. Reboots after about 30 seconds, but no orange PWR light. I am going to try and swap Power Supplies and see what happens as this seems like the next logical step. I will let everyone know..

Anne

ahonamous
10-24-2003, 12:38 AM
Ok.. So I have swapped in a good HD that, when in a working system, gets (at least) to "Almost There." I have also swapped in a known working power supply. I still get nothing.. No bash prompt, no "Almost There." It looks like it may be a dead Mother Board? Any thoughts? Could this be a PROM compatibility issue?

Anne

BAHitman
11-01-2003, 07:40 PM
the fix was to turn off runideturbo (set it to false). that fixed it for me...

drove me crazy for a couple of days...

GREEK
11-02-2003, 01:53 AM
Almost there is a cause of a hardware issue on the IC1 bus. THis includes tuners, lnbp chips, cron chip, card reader atmel, and up the ladder to all 5 big chips. If you search, you can figure out how to get just a basic bash command, if functioning, you can get bash while stuck at almost there. From the bash you can figure out almost any tivo....the runideturbo=false is for welcome screen only, mostly upgrade drive problem...........

BAHitman
11-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Sorry...

what I read was that he was rebooting at the welcome powering up screen, after the power LED turned orange. (first post, 3rd sentence) I had the same issue, and turning off runideturbo fixed the problem, and since nobody suggested it, thought it might not hurt to check it...

it was a mere suggestion. I had the same symptoms when I forgot to turn it off...

ahonamous
11-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by GREEK
If you search, you can figure out how to get just a basic bash command, if functioning, you can get bash while stuck at almost there.

Greek,
I haven't gotten the box to boot up far enough to get a bash prompt. After switching hard drives and power supplies, I am inclined to think it is a bad motherboard.

Anne

GREEK
11-06-2003, 10:11 PM
This is definitely hardware related, nothing to do with image or HD. The initial welcome screen comes of the board, the next screen somes during initialization. If it is rebooting or sticking on welcome, then its board related. If you can get to almost there I would bet you can get bash. You need to set up a basic shell to get bash, here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28103&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) and try that approach. The other board that gets to almost there would be an easier fix by far, there you can get bash and check the logs for hardware problems.......

needmoretoys
12-26-2003, 02:22 PM
Helly guys,

I'm having a similar issue with my Sieries 2 DTV-tivo. I have 2 hard drives both 40GB I restored my original image to both (upgrade problem) and neither will boot. It sometimes stays on the "Powering up" screen or most of the times it goes from that to a blank screen and just sits there. After 3 minutes the power light goes off. I tried booting the tivo up but it just sits on the "POWERING UP" SCREEN. I can't see how this could be a motherboard or power supply issue, I was extremely careful not to touch either and grounded myself before touching the harddrive.
I only upgraded 2 other tivo's with very little trouble, but after reading many posts over the last couple of days, I'm stuck. I'm an IT guy, but don't know too much about Linux(Will learn it quick).

For some reason I can't mount the TIVO drive and don't know where to / how to use bash to look at logs to see if this is a hardware issue. Could anyone point me to posts or commands to figure this out.

E

GREEK
12-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Just clarify this for me, you said it will often power up then go blank screen, but later you said if I boot the tivo it will just stay at powering up. Did you mean boot the tivo without a drive in it? If no drive will stay at powering up, I would guess its your image. BUT, even with bad image, it should not blank out to a dead screen. Try this first. Switch to another output, try them all if possible. Then, try another ide ribbon cable. Then reseat all the connections, the white flat ones and all. If you boot with no drive it should sit at powering up, this comes off the board. I would redo the drives, and possibly try a working drive from another ser2 if you have one to rule that out as the main culprit..........

needmoretoys
12-27-2003, 12:20 AM
Thanks for helping Greek,

Yes, I ment without a hard drive. I tried all the jumpers, 2 different cables with the same result if I have the drives on "Master" it stays at "Powering up" if I put it on "Cable select" it goes to a blank screen after "Power up". I do not have access to another tivo so I can't try another drive in and see. I even read up and did a boottivo because I could not mount the drive so I was able to make mount 7 bootable. Here is what I did, did I miss something simple:

1- mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
2- mfsrestore -bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak (Where tivo.bak was an old series 2 copy that was working 3 month ago)
3- I tried it with and without mfsadd -x /dev/hdc.

What do you suggest as my next steps? This is driving me nuts.
E

GREEK
12-27-2003, 01:18 AM
You need to get a working image on the drive, just the master one. THis is tough one to call from here, may be image or hardware. DOnt have to touch anything to break it, thats part of the dtivo package. Its real hard to trouble shoot stuff with only one machine and not another to test against. It sounds like your backup went ok, but not sure how you made it. You used sleepers iso or other? If you dont do it correctly, it just wont go. Great time to get another ser2 for 93 bucks?? BTW, you are WAY better off with 80gig+ single drive, than 2 40's, specially ser2 dtivo. A dual drive setup should be avoided if possible always. More heat, more strain, twice the chance of drive failure. (my opinion of course) Not to mention the crap maxtors that are already in there to begin with. Honestly hard to say if the image is good or another problem from here. Gotta get a known 100% good drive from a working tivo, then you know its not even a software issue at all. Power downs and moving a tivo around is weirdly the major time they fail......

needmoretoys
12-27-2003, 11:41 AM
thanks Greek,

I've read many posts of people looking at some log files using bash. Like I mentioned, not too familiar with bash, but I've read many of log files. Could that be of any help to point me in the right direction?
I know my partition is 7 but I can't mount it for the life of me any ideas? I also have an 80 GB Maxtor in my xp machine that I'm not using, could I fdisk it and restore my image to it in case my 2 40's are bad(kinda likely)? What should I watch out for, do I need to format it?

thanks
E

AlphaWolf
12-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Greek,
I haven't gotten the box to boot up far enough to get a bash prompt. After switching hard drives and power supplies, I am inclined to think it is a bad motherboard.

Anne

I would set bash_env (do a search for that) and probably route /dev/console to /dev/ttyS3 (search for how to do that as well, hint: inittab)

This will give you the kernel debug messages, and will also give you a bash prompt much earlier in the tivo boot process than adding bash to the rc.sysinit will. Also, when you set bash_env, make sure you set bash to automatically background itself, or else the bootup process will halt until bash exits.

needmoretoys
12-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Well I guess it must have been hardware all along??? I decided to take out my old TIVO (thought blown power supply???) and put one of the old hard drives in it and the son of _ _ _ _ _ worked like a charm? I guess some how the mother board or power supply got zapped? For the life of me I can't figure out how??? like I said I put many computers together, but I don't know how this happened, I was extremely careful???. Any hope of fixing this cheap (Cheaper than $93) I only had this Tivo for 3 weeks?

thanks
E

GREEK
12-27-2003, 05:33 PM
if you bought from a major store, box it up and return it for another. OTherwise you can warranty it for a refurb from hughes. Its weird, but the damn things blow real easy. The ser2 are alot more delicate than ser1 for sure. One thing I noticed is to not unplug/plug at the dtivo, I unplug from the wall only.