PDA

View Full Version : CANNOT get Bash on HDVR2

ice5
09-24-2003, 08:14 PM
So, I bought an HDVR2 the other day.

I finally get it and I'm all pumped.

I followed Cobelli's guide found here (http://www.hostfreedom.com/tivo/)

I managed to back up my image fine. I determined that my root partition was 7, so my kernel should be 6. I also determined that my last partition was 14 (Apple Free was 13).

I followed the guide exactly, and had no problems while doing this in my PC.

I shut down the PC and moved the drive to the TiVo. No bash over serial, OR ethernet (using a USB100TX, don't even get link lights)

So I put the TiVo drive back into the PC and the /hack directory is gone. Check the kernel log and sure enough, TiVo rebuilt that partition.

Not good.

Tried that a few more times without success, losing the /hack directory everytime.

So I decided to write the prehacked u5-151-hacked.mfs image to my drive.

I restored from that image just fine, still no bash. Put the drive back in my PC, and the hack dir is still there.

I tried regenerating the ROMFS and copying it, to no avail.

So I beg of your help in this situation.

My serial cable is one I just threw together. When ring and tip are shorted it will echo characters. I'm using Hyper Terminal in WinXP. 9600-8-N-1 with no flow control.

So PLEASE... someone must have some tips for me. Why is my bash so messed? It shouldn't be this hard. I've been working on this for DAYS.

:(

Thanks.

MuscleNerd
09-24-2003, 08:28 PM
You really should post the serial console output if you expect someone to be able to help you out. But don't bother doing that if you don't also have "dsscon=true" as one of your bootpage parameters.

If you can't get serial console output at all, then your cable is bad. Regardless of whether your hacks/bash/etc are working, you will see output from the serial port if your cable is good.

BTW, the correct speed setting is 115200, not 9600.

metrotech
09-24-2003, 08:39 PM
I went thru the same directions here and had some problems because I wasn't reading what the directions said, I was just looking at them. The areas of problems are highlighted by Cobelli, where he has seen people have problems. Where are you putting your hack directory and what files are you copying to it? That problem I didn't have. Most of the problems I did have were typing the commands as they are shown in the guide. Don't you think this should have been posted under the guide so others can learn also?

MT

ice5
09-25-2003, 03:35 PM
MuscleNerd:

Does it matter at what point I connect the serial cable? i.e. before plugging in tivo, randomly at some point after the tivo is on etc.

Should I be running Hyper Terminal before I plug in the cable, should I wait until the cable is plugged in to run it, etc.?

Using Hyper Terminal in WinXP... Hope WinXP isn't an issue.

So correct settings are:

115200,8,N,1 ??

metrotech:

I'm putting the hack directory exactly where the guide tells me to... Partition 9 and I'm copying exactly the files the guide says to.

ice5
09-25-2003, 05:49 PM
The OTHER issue, is that I cannot get BASH even with a pre-hacked mfs file.

i.e. I take drive, restore hacked mfs, no bash.

Bloody hell... :(

captain_video
09-25-2003, 07:17 PM
BTW, the correct speed setting is 115200, not 9600.

I find this interesting because I never changed the baud rate from 9600 in TeraTerm and I have bash via serial connection. I performed the mod using cobelli's guide and I don't remember noticing any setup for changing the baud rate on the Tivo side unlesss it's contained in one of the files that were installed on the Tivo drive. Still, if it were set up to connect at 115200 I seriously doubt that I would be able to connect at 9600. I leave my serial cable plugged into the DTivo full time and I get bash at about 50% of the signal acquisition from the satellite. I'm also using WinXp.

saultenuts
09-26-2003, 06:22 PM
How do you know when Bash is working? I can see the messages coming from the Tivo (echos and stuff...) as well as
bash: no job control in this shell
bash-2.02#
but I can't seem to type anything or enter commands. Probably a problem with Hyperterminal setup. Can someone tell me how to use Hyperterminal? Never really used it before.

metrotech
09-27-2003, 11:58 AM
saultenuts

What are the settings that your using for the session with your tivo.

MT

NutKase
09-28-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by saultenuts
How do you know when Bash is working? I can see the messages coming from the Tivo (echos and stuff...) as well as
bash: no job control in this shell
bash-2.02#
but I can't seem to type anything or enter commands. Probably a problem with Hyperterminal setup. Can someone tell me how to use Hyperterminal? Never really used it before.

Your tivo is running Bash fine. Try TeraTerm Pro found here (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/ttermp23.zip) for Win95,98,NT.

Under Setup|Serial Port ensure

115200 - baud
8 bit - data
none - parity
1 bit - stop
none - Flow Control

I've used HyperTerminal successfully with these same settings.

NutKase

cr8zyhorse
09-29-2003, 12:43 PM
ice5:
I have the USB100TX also, the lights on the NIC do not come on, but the lights on my switch do and it works. I would not go by them.
I did not use the serial at all; I did not have a connecter and did not wont to add any extra problems for myself. I went straight to Ethernet.

The first thing I would do is after you boot once with the hard drive in the TiVO. If you do not get a link light on the switch, put it back in the PC and check the hack dir to see if you have a hackinit.log. You might want to go as far as opening the file in the Joe program. See if it has the date and time of every boot the TiVO did. If you have the file and it does have the times, that means you have done all first steps correct and the problem is ether in the hackinit, it cannot find the driver, the driver is there and corrupt, or you do not have the IP info correct. If you do not have the IP info correct, I would think the light on you switch would still come on but I am not sure.

What I did was copy the files /lib/modules to my /var/hack/lib. If you do this, MAKE SURE you put:

insmod /var/hack/lib/usbcore.o
insmod /var/hack/lib/usb-ohci.o
sleep 10
insmod /var/hack/lib/pegasus.o

in your hackinit. There is no reason that you would have to put them in this dir. I just did it so I would all the stuff in my hack folder.

NutKase
09-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by cr8zyhorse
[BI did not use the serial at all; I did not have a connecter and did not wont to add any extra problems for myself. I went straight to Ethernet. [/B]

In my opinion, you got lucky and didn't waste a lot of time getting yours to work... but not to spend the $13 for a null modem adapter and a gender bender is silly.

Once the tivo starts spitting out pages and pages of useful informative and 'postable' data you'll never understand why you didn't do it sooner.

See my post here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25743&perpage=40&pagenumber=6) for exactly what you need. Ignore the monte stuff if it doesn't apply.

saultenuts
09-29-2003, 01:16 PM
115200 - baud
8 bit - data
none - parity
1 bit - stop
none - Flow Control

I had flow control set incorrectly, bash works fine now...
Thanks guys!