PDA

View Full Version : writing special code - Can anyone help?

SatelliteDan
09-25-2003, 12:20 AM
Can you hack or write special code for replay tv or a tivo? I want to use one in a kiosk to record the local news and play it in a Continuous loop. It would need to play this loop until the next news broadcast, then record that and play it in a loop. It should erase the old broadcasts as it needed space on the drive. This would be something that I could put a UPS on and run forever, basically just showing a rebroadcast of the news.

Can you do it? If not, do you know who can? I'm willing to pay for the fix and have no problem paying for the monthly subscription if needed.

Dan

fixn278
09-25-2003, 01:54 AM
I am not sure a Tivo is the best device for this. While it can probably be done, a PC running some type of HT software like SnapStream may be better since you don't have to "hack" it to do what you want.

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to point you to the path of least resistance.

SatelliteDan
09-25-2003, 04:35 AM
I looked at that but it's a $3000 fix. I want to put about 100 of these out there. Doing it with a $200 to $300 box makes it all work.

I just need minor code additions as both Tivo and ReplayTv will record the event everytime it's aired. I just need a way to tell the box to keep playing the newest file in a loop.

I just need to find the right person....maybe tivo themselves.

Thanks,

Dan

David Bought
09-25-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by SatelliteDan

Tivo would be happy to do this for you:

1) at the right price (which might be outside your range)

2) after compensating for the per-unit subsidy - they really don't want you to buy 100 boxes that never get subscribed and never provide a revenue stream for them

If you want to do it yourself, start learning how to take control of the tivoapp menus.

fixn278
09-25-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by SatelliteDan
I looked at that but it's a $3000 fix. I want to put about 100 of these out there. Doing it with a $200 to $300 box makes it all work.

I just need minor code additions as both Tivo and ReplayTv will record the event everytime it's aired. I just need a way to tell the box to keep playing the newest file in a loop.

Thanks,

Dan

Sounds more like a $700 fix to me. A pc fast enough to loop a single recording, a tuner card and a $79 dollar piece of software is a small price to pay.

But... if you're set on using a Tivo, good luck.

SatelliteDan
09-26-2003, 11:01 AM
[I don't have a problem with paying the $10 bucks per month. per box.

If you have a contact at tivo that can write this small app for me, please send them my way.

As long as they get thier $10 bucks per month, they should not care wether it's on my TV set or sitting in the closet.

Thanks!

rc3105
12-17-2003, 03:37 AM
the kiosk use code's allready written :D

just pickup the phone...

tytyty
12-17-2003, 08:17 AM
Don't forget to get a licsense from the original broadcater for use of their copyrighted material also if thier are commercials during the brodcast get licsenses for those also. Im sure they will be willing to negotiate a "reasonable fee".

Good Luck