PDA

View Full Version : possible to replace optical socket on dsr6k?

Aviator
09-25-2003, 06:49 AM
I've wondered about this for awhile, there's one recepticle that houses the optical audio out and something else, I can't remember. Anyway, the optical socket is really weak and the cable likes to fall out, has anyone replaced theirs? My next option is to hotglue the cable in place :p

GREEK
09-25-2003, 02:12 PM
I swap these out from time to time. Cant buy the parts though, you need a parts tivo to pull from. i personally wouldnt hot glue it, find away to make the bulb fatter so it wedges in there tighter. These do go bad, be careful not to help it on its way out......

poppagene
09-25-2003, 09:32 PM
this thread has information on turning the optical digital into coaxial digital in case you're interested

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=110664

Aviator
09-25-2003, 10:24 PM
well, the optical died completely tonight. I tested the cable and port by connecting to my PS2 and it works fine, so the TiVo is shot. Funny thing is there is red light shining through the cable, but for some reason the theater receiver can't synch it or see it as data.

Have you done this mod? How is it working? how did you go about it?

poppagene
09-25-2003, 10:57 PM
I have not tried the mod since the optical out on my dsr6000 is working fine for now.

Aviator
09-26-2003, 03:00 AM
I did try it...

I soldered the center lead of an RCA cable I had laying around to the R6 resistor, then grounded the outside of the connector to a common ground, the receiver saw nothing.

the other day I turned the power supply all the way up as a reccomendation to troubleshoot a reboot problem, so the TiVo was running on 13 volts to the hard drive connectors, I'm sure high voltage elsewhere, so maybe I've damaged the chip that decodes the digital data, or maybe I just did the thing wrong.

the optical connector on my unit is stamped foxcon, I read elsewhere that some of them don't have any brands on them, maybe I'll try to get another connector.

The other thing I couldn't find that would be handy, is where that lead from R6 goes, there is something like 7 pins to that connector, but there is continuity through all of them to R6, so I couldn't trace out which one I could attach to, it would be easier to solder to the bottom of the board because it's so tight to the connector case.