PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor Compatability

DawG
09-25-2003, 12:41 PM
I recently had a new 120GB DiamondPlus 9 HDD become locked after installing a HDR312 imaged from a reputable source listed on this forum (I dint name the source since I dont think the source image was bad or any such). I read and found qunlock might unlock it and it in fact did so. However, not knowing the cause at that time, I reinstalled the image and locked it again. I am now unable to unlock. No matter what I try it still shows up as the locked 9 MB drive. Maxtor tech support offered the following wisdom and I am curious as to what some of you experts think of their reply. I have not read of any such issues on any forum I have visited. Their first response was that the Tivo OS had written to the HDD firmware to lock it and there was no way to reverse it or rewrite it. I told them what I thought of that and received the following. Please comment!!

Unfortunately we do not support using our drives in a TiVo environment. We do not provide firmware updates for the these drives. I'm sorry for the inconvenience but since our drives are not supported for use in the Tivo environment, there is no workaround on this issue at this time.

BubbleLamp
09-25-2003, 01:15 PM
I'd be very surprised if the Tivo image contained any firmware code for the drive. For starters, those old Tivo's came with Quantum drives, so even if there WAS a firmware image in the code, it'd be for a Quantum drive.

Have you tried setting your BIOS to NONE for the drive and then see what capacity appears? Or that old trick where you pull the IDE cable off the running drive (not for the faint of heart)

DawG
09-25-2003, 01:27 PM
I have set the BIOS to NONE and it shows as 9MB still. I attempted to enter diffeerent values in the cylinders/heads etc but my bios wont let me. I will try pulliing the plug on it when I get home today. Cant kill it any worse than it is now, 9MB aint jack these days.
Thanks for the tip!!!

fixn278
09-25-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by DawG
I recently had a new 120GB DiamondPlus 9 HDD become locked after installing a HDR312 imaged from a reputable source listed on this forum (I dint name the source since I dont think the source image was bad or any such). I read and found qunlock might unlock it and it in fact did so. However, not knowing the cause at that time, I reinstalled the image and locked it again. I am now unable to unlock. No matter what I try it still shows up as the locked 9 MB drive. Maxtor tech support offered the following wisdom and I am curious as to what some of you experts think of their reply. I have not read of any such issues on any forum I have visited. Their first response was that the Tivo OS had written to the HDD firmware to lock it and there was no way to reverse it or rewrite it. I told them what I thought of that and received the following. Please comment!!

I would ask them to show you where the warranty stated that you couldn't use the drive in any hardware you wanted.

Who are they to tell you how you can use the drive you purchased?

They only leg they would have to stand on is if you were asking them to unlock the drive (bybass some sort of security) to get the data. If you are asking them how to wipe the drive, and they don't help, escallate to a manager.

captain_video
09-25-2003, 01:47 PM
Just call Maxtor back and tell them your drive is only showing 9GB and that you've tried using the qunlock utility to no avail. There's no need to make any mention of it being in a Tivo. If the drive is under warranty it should be covered. I'm betting that the Maxtor CSR thought the drive came with the Tivo and therefore is covered under the Tivo's warranty and not through Maxtor. Most of the new Tivos are coming with Maxtor drives installed.

DawG
09-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Thanks guys. I will definitely be giving them a call. May do no good but at least I will be able to vent my frustration.

TivoScott
10-05-2003, 09:52 AM
Just bought a Maxtor drive. Having second thought on useing it in the Tivo. Is this just a fluke or is the Maxtor more problematic than others?

also wondering if 80 G as a second drive is really big enought?

Thx

DawG
10-05-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by TivoScott
Just bought a Maxtor drive. Having second thought on useing it in the Tivo. Is this just a fluke or is the Maxtor more problematic than others?

Thx
I talked to Maxtor extensively. Even they dont know why this is a problem or what hardware is involved. They wanted to know everything I could tell them about my problem, which I honestly told them. Their bottom line in they do not support retail installations in Tivo. If you fry the firmware like I did using qunlock, you are finished! In my case qunlock worked the first time but fried the Maxtor firmware the second time I used it when trying to hack it while slaved to my pc. Note also, that even if the new Maxtor locks, it is still useable in your Tivo. Mine booted and worked just fine. I followed the hacking instructions to check it after restoring the image. You just cant access it while slaved to your PC.

From my reading, it seems to be primarily the older models of Tivos that cause problems. As someone posted, it seems like the new Maxtor firmware has some of the old Quatum firmware signature (Maxtor purchased Quatum)! I currently have 3 Tivos with Maxtor drives working fine. (2 HDVR2 and 1 DSR6000) Both HDVR2 units also came with Maxtors but I have replaced them with Maxtor 120GB.

In my case the problem Tivo was a 14 hour HDR31204. I suggest putting the original Tivo drive you want to hack in your computer and booting to MFStools. After you get the # prompt, scroll the screen back and see if your Tivo drive is reporting locked or if it is reporting its partitions accurately. Another check is to try and browse the contents of the Tivo from the # prompt. If you can, you are probably ok. If both these checks are positive, your drive is almost surely not one of the problem drives. I base this on the fact that after I fried my Maxtor, I did the same checks and found my original drive reported as locked. (Doesnt mean you cant MFS back it up, you can.)

As a footnote, I put a Western Digital 60GB that I had lying around in the 312. I tried restoring the original Tivo image to it and did so without problem of locking. I am having problems getting it to boot correctly, however. I have just about given up on the idea, SA aren't worth this trouble.

I am beginning to ramble so will close this post. Keep us posted on what you do and how it comes out?

TivoScott
10-06-2003, 07:33 AM
Thanks

First weekend with DTivo. Wow can this fill up a HD fast. Thinking that maybe I should go larger than 80 G for the second drive?

Stephen
10-11-2003, 05:29 PM
I would do a couple of things..

1. Toss the drive in a PC set the Bios to Auto
2. Boot off of a floppy disk
3. Low level format the drive

If that doesnt work call Maxtor back and say I just bought this drive attempted to install it in a computer and it doesnt spin up properly. (Hea who knows this COULD be the cause :D This ideal may be scratched since you called them in the first place and gave them the serial numebr and all the other information. If all else fails take it back to the reseller and say you have a defectivedrive and would like to swap it out (depending on how long ago you bought the drive packaging ect.....

bbiandov
03-23-2004, 05:35 PM
well by now it is clear that there is a locking problem with Maxtor that none of the old tools could resolve. qunlock and all the other stuff is simply NOT working on those Maxtor drives. I am seeing the same issue with even a 40G drive which is locked and I can not unlock using any of the tools available for download. Maxtor is happy to replace it but we must find a way to battle this new evil. They will one day realize what is cooking and stop issuing easy RMAs

Any one have any idea as to the casues of this new unbrakable locking feature?

Meathead
03-24-2004, 12:26 AM

Thx

Actually Some new Maxtors have fluid bearings which run quieter and cooler just like some Seagates.

captain_video
03-24-2004, 09:29 AM
I don't think you're supposed to ever use qunlock on any of the Maxtor drives. The info in Hinsdale's How To indicates you could seriously hose your drive using qunlock unnecessarily. One word of advice about Tivo drives - NEVER tell the manufacturer that your drive came out of a Tivo for the very reason you cited. They should honor their warranty on a hard drive no matter what application it's used for.

Maxtor drives are no better and no worse than Seagates or Western Digitals when used in a Tivo. Some just last longer than others, no matter what the brand. The latest Maxtors are supposed to have fluid bearings like the Seagates and should therefore run quieter. In fact, Maxtor put out a white paper (http://www.maxtor.com/en/documentation/white_papers/hdd_considerations_white_paper.pdf) on the use of hard drives in PVRs a while back. Some people have reported good results with the Samsung drives. Avoid IBM drives like the plague. I've never heard anything good about them when used in a Tivo.

Masnark
04-11-2004, 09:56 PM
My TIVO ate two Maxtor DiamondMax9 hard drives. One that was 120gb and 160gb.

I called up maxtor. Told them their tools say that the hard disk is 9mb. Asked for a RMA (replacement). Got the hard disk after 4 days in the mail.

For the first one they knew that it was in a TIVO and still sent me a replacement.

Why let my TIVO eat two hard drives and not one?

Meh. it was hungry.