PDA

View Full Version : Setting Tivos address

bugsshadow
09-26-2003, 08:09 AM
How do i go about setting tivos adress. I run find network address and get 127.0.0.1 return but can not get connected.

awing_pilot
09-26-2003, 12:39 PM
I come from a networking background so gimmie just one sec BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHA.. Ok I'm sorry i shouldn't have done that.

127.0.0.1 is a loopback address, In english it means that, that address is itself ( it loops back to itself) if you go to any machine (generalization) and ping 127.0.0.1 you are pinging yourself, and not another machine.

Do you have a router on your network? dsl? how is it all connected? if you have a router (netgear, dlink, linksys, etc.) you can go to the DHCP table and there will be a list of all the IPS that are in use. generaly the one with no hostname info is your tivo. For me it is 192.168.1.103, but it will be dependednt on your router.

another option you could do to find it is to do an IP sweep using a tool like yhis:

http://www.solarwinds.net/Tools/Network_Discovery/PingSweep/

you just put in your start ip address (XXX.XXX.XXX.1)
and the final address (XXX.XXX.XXX.254)

all the ones that respond are ips on your network. just go through all of them till you figure it out ( doubt theres more then 10)

if you have more questions or need help just ask. Sorry for the laughing but it really cheered me up today

awing... over and out