PDA

View Full Version : Video Washed out when new PS is installed

genericuser
09-27-2003, 09:53 AM
Has anyone ever seen this??

I just got a new power supply from weaknees. The installation went well. Upon powering it up, the initial video screen was totally washed out and smeared. I checked the cabels and they were fine.

I installed the original supply and it booted fine. Colors and video were as expected. So I installed the new PS again. Again the video was smeared and washed out.

I am currently running with the original power supply and it is working fine.

I checked the levels of the new power supply and they were well set a 5.10 volts and 12.25 volts.

It is like there is some interference being caused by the new supply. If anyone has seen this problem, how did you fix it?

Thanks

captain_video
09-27-2003, 05:10 PM
I'd contact weaknees and complain. I've never dealt with him but he seems to have a good reputation so chances are he'll either refund your money or exchange the power supply. He may give you some tips on what to check and perhaps correct the problem your self. If your original supply is working fine then why did you replace it?

GREEK
09-28-2003, 03:03 AM
Thats a usual symptom of a badly seated ribbon cable. Try playing with the ribbon and really seating it well or switching it end for end. Either way I'd return it and get another. Why swap if the first one works?

genericuser
09-28-2003, 10:22 PM
well ever since I have owned the Dtivo (Sept 2001), it have been really frail in the power supply area. I had to constantly reseat the flat flex connector cable.

I finally replaced the FFC and it worked great for over a year. however, in the last few weeks, it has been rebooting alot. And it is getting worse (reboot about every 10-45 minutes now).

I have tried replacing the FFC again, but that has not helped. I took the PC board from a stand-alone PS and installed it on the DTivo supply and that did not seem to help either.

I had decided to get a new PS in order to fix the problem. Also, if it turned out that the this was not the problem, I would have a backup supply.

The only other thing I am now thinking is that maybe there is a bad spot on one of the two drives (100M, 120M). But I think if I do the "factory recertify" that people have talked about, I will have to rebuild the DTivo from scratch. That would suck.

Does anyone know if there is a non-invasive way to test the drives?

Thanks for the answers. I have an e-mail into weaknees, so I hope to have this resolved soon. I have to say that the DTivo is really something that you miss when its broke.

GREEK
09-29-2003, 07:03 PM
An often reboot is mainly a HD issue but also a power supply one. Mostly HD though. Just because it/they are newer drives doesnt mean a thing really. There is a 1 in 12 return on brand new drives due to factory defects, and I'd bet if you posted a poll many of us would tell you stories about "new drives". I've had them crap out in hours, days, and weeks. No real good way of testing other than to low level. I will say I have had drives that passed tests that were bad even thoughthey passed. If you can get your hands on a 30 gig + drive throw a image on there and test. That way you rule out the HD and you have peace of mind.

genericuser
09-30-2003, 08:16 AM
I think you are correct, Greek...

I did the powermax 90 second test on my WD 120 gig (A) and the WD 100 gig (B). On the B drive, it passed, on the A drive it said to run the longer test. So I did... And it failed. I have been doing a low level format of that drive (over 12 hours now)...

So it appears I have bad hard drive(s).

Question... I hear about people doing the "factory recertification" using the powermax diagnostics. Exactly which test is that? I think it is the one right below the 90 second test, but I want to be certain.

Thanks, and I will let you know how it turns out.

I am in contact with Weaknees and they are semi-balking at switching out the supply. I just sent them e-mail saying I do not want a refund, only a working supply. I do believe that GREEK is correct. there are defects on my drive and I bet that is the reason why things are rebooting. However, I am on the hook for a new supply, so I will get it and stash it in case of failure later on.

That was a $99 mistake. I should have done a better job troubleshooting before I sent off my money. Oh well... Live and learn

genericuser
10-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Update:

I still believe Greek is correct. My B drive passed the WD diagnostics, but the 120gig A drive has a hard failure on it. I have placed an RMA to WD and am getting a new drive.

In the mean time I have formatted the 100gig drive and we will see how it goes. I am using the original power supply but have applied Wrencher's idea and have soldered a ribbon cable between the main board and the power supply.

Weaknees has given me an RMA number for the new power supply. They are going to get it, test it and send me a new one. I am interested in getting another supply and testing it. It probably wont be for at least 2 weeks, though.

Before I took everything apart, I put the following line in the rc.sysinit:

/bin/date >> /hack/REBOOT_LOG

The reboots were occurring between 12 and 16 minutes.