PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering video

billywiggins
09-29-2003, 01:47 AM
I purchased an SA Tivo from ebay, I know, I know, this will probably end up being the ultimate problem, but anyways, I keep having problems with my video while just watching live tv. It keeps glitching/stuttering a little bit sometimes and alot at other times. I was just wondering if anyone else has ran into this? Ive got a Phillips SA with software version 3.0-01-1-000. I know its not running hot since I leave the top off and I leave the AC running constantly. I upgraded the hard drive with a drive Ive been using in a FreeBSD server, the only thing I can think of is the drive might be going south, but like I said, sometimes it doesnt even have this problem and a day or so later it starts up again, no real pattern. Any suggestions? And no, I dont really have the cash to go buy another drive right now:D . Just windering if there is some sort of hack.tweak I might could do to help out. Thanks!

Also, it takes forever to change channels and to get a guide pulled up on my satellite reciever. Again, Im using a Stand Alone but I have a DirecTV satellite input running into it via S-video. Thats it, more info.

TheWickedPriest
09-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by billywiggins
I know its not running hot since I leave the top offI wouldn't assume that would help -- the case is supposed to direct the airflow; without a case, the fan becomes less effective. Have you checked the temperature on the System Information screen?

billywiggins
09-30-2003, 02:06 AM
Well, I have a AC window unit specifically for that purpose in this room, to keep the temp. down, this is my office/computer room and it normally gets about 10 degrees F hotter than the rest of the house just because it is kinda small and has alot packed into it. Yeah, Ive checked the temp on the System Information screen and it said 'OK' and I cant say exactly what the temp is because Im at work right now, Ill check it when I get home, but Im quite sure its not the temperature. Right now Im thinking it is the hard drive itself being faulty. Im looking into buying another one, checking around on prices just to see if it does make a difference.

TheWickedPriest
09-30-2003, 03:19 PM
I had the same symptoms; mine was at 50 and also said "OK" -- however, I'm quite sure that it was a heat problem in my case. Now at 40, it's totally stable.

billywiggins
10-06-2003, 05:53 PM
OK, update, I think it may have been the hard drive I was using at the time. I just put another one in place of the one I had suspected was "faulty". It is better so far. It has been running for 5 hours now and no "stuttering video", everything seems to be running smoother now. Also, my Tivo is running at 30 (Normal) which is what is was running before, so that makes me think it was the hard drive for sure now.