PDA

View Full Version : ver 4.0x fw & Video Extraction Q's

mxmoney
09-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Well when I found out that series 2 could be networked I dumped my T60 and bought three Series 2 SA units. After I purchased the home media option my firmware became ver 4.0. I have been reading the forums and haven't noticed any place that covers Tytool and ver 4. I guess in hindsight I should call my sister-in-law and see if I can buy back my old T60.
What is the best way to extract video to my PC for DVD authoring? I have a Sony Desktop with analog inputs and could go directly into the PC. I am wondering how the video would look after it is converted to analog and back to Mpeg not to mention the extra time it will take. So the option to use Tytool is sounding better. The nice part about the series 2 is (having three tivos) I only have to hack one and can move the video from the others to the hacked one for the extraction.
Seeking advise, thanks in advance.
Jimmy

David Bought
09-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Search keywords: 4.0 extraction
Search keywords: MRV noscramble

Using HMO to transfer unscrambled files will not work. You screwed up. You also should have kept the DTiVo, because re-encoding is lossy and space inefficient.

Welcome to Dealdatabase.

mxmoney
09-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Thanks David for your reply. Doing a search for 4.0 extraction was the info I think. In your post you mentioned
"Using HMO to transfer unscrambled files will not work"
I mentioned this because I was thinking I could use HMO to transfer the video files from my unhacked Tivo to the one I was going to open up. I think you were thinking I was going to use HMO to transfer to my PC? Not sure. I know I can transfer the files from Tivo to Tivo so why would I hack all three?? Could you explain?
"You screwed up. You also should have kept the DTiVo, because re-encoding is lossy and space inefficient."
I can get the T60 back (which is not a Dtivo but a SA model, if that even matters) The problem would be I would have no way of linking it to the 200+ gigs of series 2 Tivo's I have purchased. I would much rather be working on a forward plan that includes all three of my series 2 tivos as they are capturing lots of content. But thanks for your input again. So I will do the search and dig alittle deeper to see if this is even possible and reply. Unless of course you could craw out from underneath the desk and help a newbie out. With over 3 posts a day you do love to talk :)

Welcome to Dealdatabase."

NutKase
10-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by mxmoney
Thanks David for your reply. Doing a search for 4.0 extraction was the info I think. In your post you mentioned
"Using HMO to transfer unscrambled files will not work"
I mentioned this because I was thinking I could use HMO to transfer the video files from my unhacked Tivo to the one I was going to open up. I think you were thinking I was going to use HMO to transfer to my PC? Not sure. I know I can transfer the files from Tivo to Tivo so why would I hack all three?? Could you explain?

I can. The video on an unhacked Tivo is recorded scrambled. The video must be unscrambled to burn and watch on a DVD. If you properly hack your extraction box it will be recording video unscrambled and will not be able to show any unhacked scrambled HMO video you transfer to it. Therefore, if you HMO the scrambled video to the hacked box you won't be able to burn and watch it anywhere.

I would much rather be working on a forward plan that includes all three of my series 2 tivos as they are capturing lots of content.

The first thing you need to do is give up on the 'hacking only one box idea.' You'll need to get bash on all tivos using monte, then unscramble the video with kmem and a tivoapp patch. You'll then be able to extract video from each to your network.

I would definately start reading because you won't be able to extract ANY of the 'lots of content' they're capturing now :)

Start with needo's guide (http://www.superhero.org/tivo/) for info then read my post Updates to 4.0 monte How-To (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25743&perpage=40&pagenumber=6) for action.

Good Luck

NutKase

mxmoney
10-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Nuttkase,
With Tivo's "Home Media" option you can transfer movie files from one Tivo to another. I was thinking that if I only hacked one Tivo I would just move the content the others had recorded via "Home Media" then transfer to the network. I realize this is an added step but more than half of the stuff I record will be erased and most movie files I would know up front I am going to want to put on DVD I would just record them to the designated or hacked Tivo for transfer to the network. Whether I hack one or all I would still be able to do the same thing. Of course if I got through hacking the first one I would be able to hack them all as you suggest. It is always easier to do it the second and third time around and so on. Since I have already paid for lifetime on both Tivos and they are 80hr boxes I am more inclined to leave them be and just hack one. Thanks for your input I am still ready. Frankly, I have been reading off and on since I got the T60 and never filled it with content so I never really had to upgrade the hard drives. Then when I got the 2nd generation and started using Tivos "Home Media" option to listen to music and stream .jpg I started wondering how I could copy some of the video to dvd. I was watching Leo on Techtv when he covered Tytools and that peaked my interest so I started reading again. Now I am realizing it is not so straight forward and wonder how bad I really need to move my Martin episodes to DVD. Since I use Netflix and Xcopy to copy all my DVD's one to one I only need Tivo and Tytool for limited stuff.

NutKase
10-04-2003, 09:07 PM
I was thinking that if I only hacked one Tivo I would just move the content the others had recorded via "Home Media" then transfer to the network.

You can transfer the video recorded on a non-hacked box via HMO to the hacked box but you won't be able to exctract/SEE the scrambled video recorded on the non-hacked boxes.

Whether I hack one or all I would still be able to do the same thing.

Well, you seem to know what you're doing. Have fun. :)

I started wondering how I could copy some of the video to dvd.

All video that is to be extracted must be recorded UNscrambled on a hacked tivo. You'll do fine with the video off you hacked box.

NutKase

mxmoney
10-05-2003, 12:54 PM
I am not sure I understand what you mean about the scrambled video not being viewable on the hacked box once transferred? The way HMO works now with no hacked boxes is, say I recorded a program on the basement tv / tivo unit and I want to watch it on the tv /tivo unit in the bedroom, using HMO I scroll to the basement tivo from the bedroom and view all programs recorded on that unit when I find the one I want to watch I highlight the program and hit the tivo remote select button. Then a new menu comes up with an option "watch on this tv" I press select again and the video is permanantly transferred to the tv / tivo I have chosen. Using this method should be transferring the mpeg file completely thus being the same as if I recorded it on that box initially. When I am describing hacking only one box and moving video to and from it I am thinking this will work because once the video is transferred it is in the "now playing" menu until I delete it and doesn't have to be cached or recorded again. Is this right?
Thanks,
Jimmy

mxmoney
10-05-2003, 12:55 PM
or are you saying that video transferred between tivos via hmo is somehow scrambled?

mxmoney
10-05-2003, 01:05 PM
I am not sure why, but I just read your post in this thread that answers my questions about scrambled video vs unscrambled as it relates to hmo. I guess the at the very least I should read my own thread :). No just kidding, I don't believe your post was there when i replied. At any rate, thanks for taking the time to help me.
Jimmy

NutKase
10-05-2003, 03:59 PM
I am not sure why, but I just read your post in this thread that answers my questions about scrambled video vs unscrambled as it relates to hmo.

No problem, It's confusing. Heck, If I keep on I'm going to confuse myself.

Just remember, when moving to the UNscrambled video recording mode to get the video into an extractable format, you will lose the ability to watch video previously recorded scrambled.

NutKase