PDA

View Full Version : Problem with DSSAPP on HDVR2 (Not DTV HACKING)

ice5
09-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Yeah...

So I was playing with my HDVR2 and I changed the dssapp file with one which purported to allow HU cards.

My HDVR2 then would not boot properly. It always hung at "Just a few more seconds please..." Although I still had telnet bash. So I replaced the new dssapp with the original (always make backups)

However the TiVo still would not boot.

So I then tried executing the dssapp file. Oddly enough, the HDVR2 would then boot.

Anyway, all DTV hacking comments etc. aside, I was hoping someone could explain to me what's happening here so I can get my HDVR2 back to normal without having to restore the whole drive from an older backup?

Thanks!

mrblack51
10-01-2003, 12:59 AM
s2 dtivos will hang until dssapp is running. based on the way that the system starts up, it can wait, and then continue once its up and going

ice5
10-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Makes sense. Thanks!

David Bought
10-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by ice5
So I was playing with my HDVR2 and I changed the dssapp file with one which purported to allow HU cards.

Anyway, all DTV hacking comments etc. aside,

1) This is not an EXPERT question, do not post this sort of thing in the EXPERT forum unless you are willing to do a writeup on a technical details of what is happening.

2) You are not being very clever in your attempts to mask your service theft habit. Stealing by any other name is still stealing. HDVR2s ALL come with unhackable P4 cards and that is the only card you are authorized to use in the unit. Read the DTV service agreement if you have any doubts.

3) You should have never touched dssapp in the first place. Hopefully you will need to reimage and this will teach you a valuable lesson.