PDA

View Full Version : Card Slot Problems

herrington
10-02-2003, 03:59 AM
*** This is not a DTV hack question ***

Recently my T-60 began acting strange. Immediately at startup, I receive the message "Please Insert A Valid Access Card", even with nothing in the slot. If I go to the system info, it shows "No Access Card Installed". I have put an ohm meter on the card slot switch and it appears to be functioning fine. Something that seems unusual to me is that there is continuity between the +5v on the card slot and ground; not sure if this is normal.

Any recommendations?

I would rather not send my Tivo in for repair as it has a fair amount of "modifications".

Thanks!

alldeadhomiez
10-02-2003, 11:54 AM
It could at least partially be caused by shorted pins inside the card slot (check with a flashlight) - although that particular circuit is quite sensitive so something else may have blown up as well.

On most IRD boards there is a resistor in series with the card slot Vcc line, so theoretically there is no way for it to be shorted to ground unless the slot went bad.

The closest replacement card slot I have been able to find is 361-1019-ND at digikey. If you happen to find a closer match please post the source.

GREEK
10-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Thats a problem that mostly has nothing to do with the actual card reader. There are two IC's on the board that relay between the reader and its 99% a bad IC with the insert card problem. What happens when you put a card in it, will it read it? Or do you constantly get a please insert card?

herrington
10-02-2003, 11:40 PM
I get "Please Insert A Valid Access Card" whether there is a card in the slot or not. Seems unlikely that it has anything to do with the slot itself, aside from the contacts, all the logic is on the board. I pulled the slot apart when I was checking the contacts and nothing looks unusual. I had read previously that the ICs at U67 and U77 are common suspects. Any recommendations on sources for parts or people who don't mind repairing a "modified" Tivo?

GREEK
10-03-2003, 11:22 PM
yep those are the two, usually the bigger atmel labeled one. Parts are from boards only, truett does these repairs I beleive. You can easily throw a stock image on a spare drive or send without a drvie in it if its ok with them. May be able to search and find a chip online and give it a whack if you got the right tools to do SMT rework.........