PDA

View Full Version : Dead A, still watch recorded off B ??

farmerj
10-03-2003, 07:36 PM
I have a DTivo T60 with dual hard drives. My A drive went south. (quantum 40 that won't spin). Question is, I have all of the season premier's on it (I was on vacation) and want to know if I replace the A, can I still watch the shows on B?

I think the answer is no cause there is no way for the unit to know what was on B, but curious.

Any help would be appreciated or I'll have to watch the reruns!

Thanks.

--fJ

captain_video
10-03-2003, 08:38 PM
The answer is no but there may be a workaround to recover your shows if you want to give it a shot. If the hard drive died due to a failure on the controller card then all you have to do is get the EXACT same model drive and swap the controller cards. I inadvertently fried a couple of controller cards on DTivo drives but I was able to recover the data from the drives using this trick. You can usually find OEM Quantum Tivo drives on ebay from people that upgraded their Tivos and are selling the original drives. Make sure the model numbers match exactly or you may not be able to swap the cards. If you have a new larger drive then you can copy the contents of the original A drive to the new drive and then expand the partitions and use it with the existing B drive. Check Hinsdale's How To for instructions on how to do this.

farmerj
10-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Captn_Video,
Thanks for the suggestion. How does one tell if the controller card it the problem? The drive doesn't spin & the LED blinks 10x before starting the sequence again.

Or, is it just a trial and error type of thing?

I'm off to get a new A drive.
Thanks for the suggestion!

--fJ

captain_video
10-04-2003, 04:12 PM
If the drive isn't recognized by your PC's BIOS there's a good bet it's the controller card. If the LED is blinking you might want to see if there's any info at the driver manufacturer's website. The blinking LED may be an indication of a specific problem similar to the diagnostic codes you can get from your car.

If you get a replacement drive on ebay and you find that the card doesn't fix the problem then you can always resell the drive or use it as a replacement. Worst case you'd only be out a couple of bucks for shipping.

TRILIGHT
10-05-2003, 02:34 PM
Just a tip... you might want to check your warranty info on that drive ASAP! One of my drives bit it recently and it was only 3 days before the warranty was up on it! I could have been stuck buying a brand new drive.