PDA

View Full Version : Best way to go back to 2.5.2 from 3.1?

RxMan
10-03-2003, 09:17 PM
I used 25xtreme on my DTivo some time ago. Then I used 31Tivolater to go to 3.1.

Is there a way to go back to 2.5.2 without having to pull the drives? I have turbonet running.

I don't mind if I lose all my passes/recordings.

Also, I would like to manually add most of hacks that I want.

THANKS.

Will
10-04-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by RxMan
Is there a way to go back to 2.5.2 without having to pull the drives? I have turbonet running.

I don't mind if I lose all my passes/recordings.

No question it can be done. You could replace everything, chmod as appropriate, and reboot. Or set up 2.52 in the non-active partition, deliberately destroy your functioning partition and reboot. Other ways. But it would be a nightmare, I'd think, unless you'd really enjoy the experiment.

Since you don't mind losing your stuff, I'd highly recommend just taking out the drives.

RxMan
10-04-2003, 11:27 AM
Well hell. I guess I'll pull the drives and do it from the beginning.

I'll do 25xtreme then boot up the tivo, then pull the drives and do the 2.5.2 upgrade.

When I do the upgrade will I get to pick which hacks I want and don't want? Can I setup my turbonet during setup or will I need the serial connection to make those changes?

RxMan
10-04-2003, 08:43 PM
I'll bump this once.

Maybe move it to the newbie forum?

I have read and searched and cannot determine if the 2.5.2 upgrade has the ability to select which hacks I want. I don't want xplusz and some other stuff.

Also need to know if turbonet would be up and running without the need for 1st time serial connect to get bash (and enable turbonet). Once I find that out I will proceed.

Toaster
10-04-2003, 09:27 PM
I have considered upgrading to 3.1 from 2.5.2... Sounds like that might not be the best choice, eh? :p

Can you explain to us newer folks, what you didn't like about 3.1? (as a reference)

I have been wondering what the main differences between 2.5.2 and 3.1 are anyway. :)

THANKS and good luck.

RxMan
10-04-2003, 10:51 PM
It's not that I don't like 3.1. It's just the the menu speed and other things that were mentioned were not enough of an improvement in my opinion to justify the move. The biggest problem with 3.1 is the tivo tier (which is not discussed about here.)

I can't believe my simple questions cannot be answered.

JJBliss
10-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by RxMan
It's not that I don't like 3.1. It's just the the menu speed and other things that were mentioned were not enough of an improvement in my opinion to justify the move. The biggest problem with 3.1 is the tivo tier (which is not discussed about here.)

I can't believe my simple questions cannot be answered.

It WAS answered, but obviously you didn't like the answer.

I will move this thread to the Newbie forum, as you asked.

RxMan
10-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Do you mind showing me where someone answered these 2 questions:

Can I choose which hacks are installed (i.e. I don't want xplusz)

Can I get to 2.5.2 and have bash via turbonet without first using a serial cable to set it up? (this is my main concern)

I finally found my answers in captain_videos How_To file. I didn't realize that the 31xupgrade also included the 252xupgrade.