PDA

View Full Version : Philips DSX6000

nobody
10-04-2003, 09:31 AM
I am offered a Philips DSX6000 which won't boot beyond the green diagnostics screen. I'm wondering what might be wrong with it. The guy said the hard disc might need to be reimaged.

captain_video
10-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Depending on the size of the hard drive it could be any number of things causing the problem. The easiest fix would be to simply reinstall a backup imafge of the Tivo OS as your friend suggested, assuming there's nothing wrong with the hardware. If your hard drive is larger than 140GB it is possible that the swap file was never set to the correct size and would explain why you're stuck on the green screen. Here's what I would do:

1. Check all cable connections to make sure they're securely seated, especially the ribbon cables connected to the mainboard and power supply. Disconnect them completely and reseat them. This probably won't fix the green screen but it can't hurt to check them anyway.

2. Try installing a new image. If it still sticks on the green screen, go to the next step. Download a copy of Hinsdale's How To and make a bootable CD with MFS Tools 2.0. Check the 9th Tee website for links to download both.

3. Remove the hard drive and run a diagnostic on it. You can download it from the drive manufacturer's website. If the drive fails the diagnostic, replace the drive. Check with the manufacturer and see if it's still under warranty but don't tell them it came out of a Tivo.

nobody
10-04-2003, 10:43 AM
Thanks Captain_Video:

What you're saying is that there shouldn't be anything with the electronics apart from the failure to boot. I don't even know what a green diagnostic screen looks like. But from the description, I know that at least the unit powers up and puts up a video image on TV. So the video circuitry must at least be working.

The guy doesn't have a backup of his drive image. Is there any image floating around on any ftp sites dedicated to the Philips? I did use a search on "hard disc image" but it didn't yield much helpful info.

Lastly, if the s/n of the unit is embedded in one of the files in the O.S. Wouldn't imaging the hard drive wipe the original serial number file? Or is the s/n burnt on some kind of eeprom?