PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Recording

Bosbury1
10-04-2003, 03:28 PM
I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could answer? I will be purchasing a Phillips DVR (1 or 2? not sure) and need some additional questions answered.

1.) Can I record on both tuners simultaneously?

2) Can I record and view high definition channels?

3.) I have a WNC Phase III 18X20 oval dish and need to split for DVR service (duals) I understand I can use a 5X8 Multi-Switch however, when i go to ebay most auctions that are 5X8 say not compatible with the phase III dishes. Is there a specific multi-switch that is required? If someone could link me to one I would me much appreciated.

4.) What is the preferred network card (for PC and tivo) to run ethernet cable on either the series 1 or 2 DTivos?

Thanks.

captain_video
10-04-2003, 05:04 PM
1. Yes. Go through guided setup to activate the dual tuner feature.

2. No. Tivo does not currently have HDTV record and playback capability. There is supposed to be an HDTV compatible model introduced sometime in the near future.

3. Not sure I can help you there. I hadn't heard about any incompatibility but I also don't know that much about the phase III dishes. Your best bet would be to check with a sat dealer for details. I believe there's also an ongoing discussion about multi-switches in the Tivo Community Forum. There's a guy there by the name of feldon23 (?) that posts some really nice hookup diagrams for using multi-switches and other DTV satellite setups.

4. For a series 1 SA or DTivo model you can use either a Turbonet or wireless Airnet ethernet adapter. For series 2 models you have a wide choice of USB adapters to choose from but you'll have to load the drivers for the S2 DTivo models. Check the series 2 hacking forum for info on supported USB ethernet adapters.

Sleeper
10-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Bosbury1
3.) I have a WNC Phase III 18X20 oval dish and need to split for DVR service (duals) I understand I can use a 5X8 Multi-Switch however, when i go to ebay most auctions that are 5X8 say not compatible with the phase III dishes. Is there a specific multi-switch that is required? If someone could link me to one I would me much appreciated.

I recommend the EagleAspen or Terk. Terk is a little more expensive. You can get the EagleAspen for under $70 - shop around. I use www.thesatelliteshop.net. He will match any price. Check yahoo merchants for a better price. Just email him the url and he will match.

Here is a diagram of a 5x8 multiswitch connected to a Phase III dish.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SP58DC22

They work perfectly and there is no issue.

Also, The Phase III has a built in 4 port multiswitch. So you could hook up 2 Dtivos or 1 DTivo and 2 other receivers without any additional hardware.