PDA

View Full Version : Options for viewing 1 Dtivo in 2 rooms?

Toaster
10-05-2003, 01:12 PM
I have a DirecTivo in my Livingroom... And of course, I want to watch some of the shows in my bedroom - especially late at night when the insomnia set's in, but don't want (ie: cant afford) the expense of a second unit right now (hopefully soon).

I'm sure others have wanted to do the same thing? What are the best options for this? Getting the video into the bedroom shouldn't be too hard honestly, but I have NO CLUE how to actually control the unit from the other room- since its not line of sight, the remote won't work. And as far as I know the Dtivo is not RF remote capable, at least mine is not, its a Series 1 Hughes G-bot.

Can someone offer any advice?

fixn278
10-05-2003, 02:39 PM
X10 has devices that transmit audio, video and ir remote. They are pretty cheap.

www.x10.com

Sleeper
10-05-2003, 10:24 PM
There are several manufacturers that make remote/IR extenders that are routinely under $30. I use the RCA D930.

If you feed your main TV with component or S-Video, you can pump the RF output of the Tivo to the bedroom over RG6.

This is what I do but I have an amp and a 8 way splitter so that I can pump it to every room. One TV works fine without an amp.

captain_video
10-05-2003, 10:30 PM
but don't want (ie: cant afford) the expense of a second unit right now (hopefully soon).

Apparently you missed the threads that popped up in just about every forum here regarding Circuit City's HDVR2's for $99 plus a $50 rebate. Word on the street is that there's going to be a price drop on S2 DTivos coming in the next couple of weeks. You should be able to get one at a regular price of $99 instead of the previous list price of $249.

Toaster
10-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by captain_video
Apparently you missed the threads that popped up in just about every forum here regarding Circuit City's HDVR2's for $99 plus a $50 rebate. Word on the street is that there's going to be a price drop on S2 DTivos coming in the next couple of weeks. You should be able to get one at a regular price of $99 instead of the previous list price of $249.

Yeah actually I did miss it until now :( I've been a little busy lately, and have not been spending much time here (or anywhere for that matter).

My only concern with $99 deal is, if I don't activate it- will they actually charge me the $150 penalty?

fixn278
10-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Toaster
My only concern with $99 deal is, if I don't activate it- will they actually charge me the $150 penalty?

Absolutely