PDA

View Full Version : Stuttering playback of recorded shows.

Cassius
10-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Starting a couple days ago my recorded shows have periods of play where they will freeze up every couple of seconds. This usually happens for about 5 minutes of the show, then it will go back to normal. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could fix this, or what might be causing it?

EDIT: I also want to add that shows that were recorded a week or more ago don't have this problem, but every new show that is recorded does. Sometimes it happens in the very begining, sometimes in the middle, and sometimes at the end.

GREEK
10-12-2003, 03:21 PM
Hard Drive going bad probably..........

IndieRockSteve
10-15-2003, 10:45 AM
I'm having the same problem, But it seems to happen on either of my two drives (ie. I can't find a show that doesn't skip) so does that mean both are going bad? Could it be something else?

Cassius
10-15-2003, 01:50 PM
I'm going to try with my original hard drive. If it is the hard drive that is bad, it must be just one area of the drive, because older recorded shows playback fine.

crusador
10-15-2003, 04:38 PM
pause a recorded show, if it is jittery, get ready for that new HD. try to clear and delete the hd b/4 chunking, especially in sony dtivo.

Cassius
10-15-2003, 09:36 PM
My tivo seems to be working right again. The past couple days recordings have played back fine.

GREEK
10-16-2003, 01:55 AM
If you have bad sectors only and not a S.M.A.R.T. error it will play back fine til you record over the bad section again. Pull the drive and reformat it so the bad sectors are marked. You can make a half bad drive last a while like this. Otherwise RMA it ASAP if its still under warranty. Drives go bad like crazy in tivos, they werent made to handle this kind of abuse. Think about the action going on with the HD with 2 live feeds being recorded simultaneously and possibly a 3rd being played back, ALWAYS ON, ALL THE TIME. Average computer is on for hour a day, and the HD go bad in them too, with no abuse at all.......

IndieRockSteve
10-17-2003, 11:53 AM
well, I pulled my tivo apart and reimaged my original drive to the 120gig drive I had added. I've got it up and running(reinstalling all the programs now) but I've been recording and playing back recordings with no problems. I need to try recording, playing back and extracting now to see if the problem is fixed, but so far the tivo reacts a lot faster and I haven't seen it hiccup.

I also gave myself a larger swap drive. hopefully the faster drive and more swap space will speed things up overall too.

netpsych
10-17-2003, 12:20 PM
I have a similar problem with j e r k y video only on Star Trek Voyager. It's not a complete freeze - just very brief pauses every 4 or 5 seconds - worse some times than others. I tried increasing quality for that subscription and I now get better quality j e r k y video.

I have a stand-alone Tivo version 1 with a relatively new 120 gig primary drive and an older 80 gig secondary drive (purchased on eBay with the 80gig drive already added).

Does the TiVo possibly record this show on the same spot on the older hard drive every time? Is there any fix short of pulling the drive again and reformatting? I was thinking about cancelling the season pass and then creating a new one.

Len

IndieRockSteve
10-19-2003, 06:56 PM
ok, with the newly made 120gig A drive my tivo is randomly rebooting, anyone have any ideas?

GREEK
10-19-2003, 07:16 PM
With a xtrme or boot CD type edit_bootparms at the second #prompt. choose option -i and name your HD location before it

# edit_bootparms hd? -i where ? is B C or D.....of course your jumper may not be set correctly, but if it is this usually does the trick.........